Ford Forums banner

EA Diff

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  EA Wagon 
#1 ·
Hi.

I did a posting before on this, but thought i would do it in the right area.

I have an EA II wagon (4sp Aut 3.9CFI). It has a 3.08 diff fitted and it is very worn.
I am after a 3.23 diff to suit the wagon. tho, my story was i went to a wrecker today and found another EA II with a 3.23 diff. But one minor difference.
The flange was different, it was a flat flange with bolt holes in it.
My EA has the standard uni joint cup.
Believe/been told that my EA has an XF diff housing? (older ea version)?
I noticed there was a very slight difference between the 3.08 and the 3.23 in appearence of the housing(castings) and that the tailshaft/driveshaft was by memory about 1-2 inches longer for the 3.23. The guy who was sent to remove the diff, said "it a fitta..." (he was italian, lol) :wtf:
But i said that no i didnt want it because of the difference in the flanges and lengths of tailshaft and the proper tailshaft was stuffed.
I want a bolt in - bolt out version, not something i have to modify a great deal. :AAHHH: Had to many years on the spanrz to just want to modify things all the time.

My query is has anyone put a 3.23 diff in an EA wagon?
Is there 2 different tailshaft lengths for 3.08's and 3.23's?
Can the flanges be interchangable ( I believe they are, but u only need to be 1 mm out for things to be ****ed).
Would like some input.....thanx....

See less See more
#2 ·
Ive got a 3.23 in my EA, its not much chop man, go a lower ratio eg. 3.45 if you want to get somthing out of it.

#3 ·
Thanx Evil.

As a matter of fact to follow up with my previous post, had another lookie around, found another wrecker and grabbed a 3.27 single spinner with driveshaft.
And yes, the drive shafts are different that suit the uni joint diff pinion flange to the straight flat flange versions.
The straight flat version has to be fitted with an aluminium driveshaft and the uni joint verion is fitted with a steel one. Think the steel one is slightly longer as well.
Changed the Oil in the diff, seem to be OK a little bit brown and cloudy (Showing water entry or just condensation), not much wear. Diff was supposed to of done 165000 k's, so still life in it yet.

I have read what a lot of guys have posted on different ratios and speeds, but I am basically after a slightly better take off. The car did a a lot of highway usage from its previous owner, but now it's between the highway and city roads. And having a 3.08 is a little slow. I was looking in to a 3.45 up to 3.7, but didn't want the higher engine revs (droney exhaust) at 100 k's.
But if the 3.27 doesn't do, I'll post a follow up.

But of course a Family Wagon isn't supposed ya off the line draggy. Or should it....?

Though what it did seem to be a better take off, as it should, was to manuallly shift the gears (T Bar).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.