EA Diff Gears - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2002, 07:17   #1 (permalink)
jsantas

EA Diff Gears

Anyone know of anyone in Melbourne who can replace the stocky gears in a falcon S with 3:45. A cost estimate would be appreciated. Did any particular Falcon model come out with 3:45's ????

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 19:13   #2 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

The EF/L XR6 came out with 3.45 LSD, i'm pretty sure of that.

The average cost to get your diff converted to a 2 pin 3.45 LSD is about $600.

Open the yellow pages up and you will find a whole stack of people that do it. Shop around dude.
Old 03-04-2002, 19:31   #3 (permalink)
mickt

diff gears

BC what diff gears did you run when you were booting your auto around? What was the best all rounder?
Old 03-04-2002, 20:13   #4 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: diff gears

I had 3.23. 2750rpm @100.
Acceleration was better then 2.77, and it did LSD burnouts. Much more responsive at any speed.
Fuel economy was worse on freeway, but about the same, if not better around the streets.

3.45 will be better for acceleration, but will obviously rev higher.

If you have a 4 speed, go for the 3.45, and if you have a 3 speed, it's up to you, but the high revs might get annoying.

Old 03-04-2002, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

EB and ED XR6's also came out with 3.45 diff gears.If you are going to the trouble and have the 2 pinion LSD change it to a 4 pinion LSD as they are stronger.The EA,EB 1 came out with 2 pinion diffs and EB 2 onwards came with 4 pinion diff centres which are meant to be stronger overall.So if you are going to spend the dough I would recommend that you get one installed.If you can't find a set of ford 3.45:1 diff gears there are other oppions as well.All Borg Warner Diff gears are interchangeable in most cases.Such is the case with VL commodores which come out with 3.45:1 diff gears standard so now you know why they are so quick off the mark.

Iam sorry to say but I took advantage of this and now have a set of Lapped 3.45 VL diff gears under my ass and never looked back.I did change my 2 pinion LSD to a 4 pinion LSD but I did also swap the pissy small bolt flange to the meater later model flange which is standard from EB 2 onwards.

These are are ny 2 bobs worth anyway.

Proud TQE Operator
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline