EA-ED Fan Clutch - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2003, 19:05   #1 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

EA-ED Fan Clutch

Hey all.

Just a few questions about the radiator fan clutch. The LTD is running a bit hotter than it usually does and after changing the obvious things such as the thermostat and flushing out and cleaning the radiator, it still does it. Now I believe the fan clutch is suspect as the temperature can fluctuate from between the bottom of the normal box to the first line on the bottom of the temp guage. This can happen just while driving on a flat road without pressing the right foot harder.

According to the gregorys manual, it says there should be slight resistance when the engine is off. Now how much is slight resistance? When I turn the fan it turns pretty easily, with probably just enough resistance to stop it from turning any great amount once I let it go. It's hard to describe I know, but can anybody give me some idea of how it should be?

Are the fan clutches between EA-ED all the same? And also how much do they generally go for brand new?

Cheers all

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2003, 19:48   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Hey Alxe, hows the new website coming along?

A few thing you could check first, if you un bol the top of the radiator and check there isnt a build upof leaves hay grass etc between the radiator and condensor/eveporator whatever its called. Its surprising how much stuff actually gets in there even though theres no apparent way to get in there. Is the lip peice under the car that everyone snashes on curbs still there? It plays a big part in creating a vacume under the car to draw air out from the radiator.

When clutch fans dies they usually just lock up solid.
Old 04-13-2003, 20:04   #3 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Or you end up losing all the viscous fluid & they just spin freely.
Theres a guy here who makes up a complete wiring loom so you can fit EL twin thermo's.
Its the best conversion Ive ever done to my falcon (besides the stroker) best of all it will sit in 40 degree heat air con running & not even reach the 1/4 on the gauge.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 20:19   #4 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Hey Karl, the website is coming along nicely :) No previews for you as yet though, you'll have to wait till the next newsletter :)

I have cleaned out all the crap from under the radiator, I actually removed it the other day and cleaned all the fins and everything around where it sits. That lip thing has been pulled off, it always caught on everything, it was about to fall off anyway, so I removed it. But even after I removed it was still fine. It was long after I took that off that it started getting hot.

Is there any way of topping up the fluid? And if the fan clutch seized and locked up solid, wouldn't the cooling effect be better? I mean then it would constantly spin and suck air in all the time at its full potential?

Alex
Old 04-13-2003, 21:09   #5 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

The fan coupling is a sealed unit unfortunately mate, & if it had siezed you would be correct in saying it would be a 1:1 drive.
Kinda like those flash flex fans you see in the shops.. Stay away from them mate ..

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:15   #6 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Did u end up getting the fan fixed Alex?

It wasn't the bouncing temp gauage problem was it?
I thought my fan might have been stuffed but it does cut in and out at times... Damn I hate that PROBLEM!!! I was looking for a solution that wasn't drilling a hole in the thermostat - I mean if something never happened b4, and now it happens - then that means something has changed and therefore can be fixed!!!

Any radiator place that says "just live with it" will NEVER get my business...

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:59   #7 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

No Dan I haven't done anything to it yet, finances won't allow me :(

It doesn't fluctuate that much, and it's quite rare that it does, but occassionally it does happen. I'm thinking the radiator could probably use a proper cleaning by a radiator place, that's what I'll do next as it's good to do periodically anyway. I'll let you know when I do it, it'll be a little while though.

Alex
Old 05-02-2003, 03:26   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I picked a 10 blade fan and clutch up as a replacement for my noisy old clutch and 5 blader for $30. My mum bought hers back in my n00b days for $110!

Just look for a EA that is being wrecked privately and you'll get the what ever you need for peanuts!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline