Ford Forums banner

EA engine, driveline, interior into another EA shell

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Dellboy999 
#1 ·
Hey Guyz,

I recently come across another EA, its Black, full GT kit and 16" wheels, all panels straight. Only down side is its a GL model, real sad interior and CFI motor, one good thing is its a 5sp. Some may know the vehicle i drive, i've been thikning about taking on this car as a project to swap everything from mine into this shell, as mine has slight panel damage and black looks cool.

I have a EA MPFI 5sp. I'm very mechanical minded and engine swapping is possible, but i was wanting to know if there are any known problems or anything that just won't swap. I want everything from my car into this one.

#2 ·
Go for it, EA is an EA. many people swap auto for manual, or CFI for MPFI, and no major probs, so there is no reason at all you cant move everything from one to the other.

Happy Swapping.

Dellboy999

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply Dellboy999. The main thing i was worried about is that it only has a single speed cluster, where as mine has all the dials, and changing the wiring looms that hang out around the ignition key. Main concern is i can't be without a car for too long and getting the new car moving as soon as possoble is needed. Can anyone else shed some light on the topic

#7 ·
Will be on the rego papers for one. and build date is another fair shot, mid 88 on was the demise of the 3.2 (i think)

And check the engine number matches the vin/chassis number at least that way you know it was in the car originally, so what ever you find out you know will be true.

After all that only 3.9's were MPFI anyway (right ???)

Dellboy999

#8 ·
If it's a 3.2 then that should be stamped on the front of the head, lower left. If it's a 3.9 then the same. I'm guessing that if it doesn't say 3.9 then its a 3.2

Mine is 3.9 and has a silver rocket cover so colour doesn' mean much..

Dan..

#10 ·
The Fairmont/Spak cluster will plug straight into the GL, only the tacho won't work as there is no provision for it in the GL dash.

That should be the only extra wire you'll have to run.

#12 ·
dont go by rocker covers, check the ID plate under the hood, should tell you the capacity, then match the engine numbers. Will have 3.9 cast into the head also, my 3.9 CFI has no badges and plain alloy rocker cover, MPFI generally had black but who says it hasnt been changed?

#14 ·
when you do the conversion, make sure you swap the entire engine harness as well, this will then allow you to plug your dash cluster straigt in, with no mods. Also makes it easier when you put the cfi back into your old car, as there wont be wires everywhere that go nowhere. eg, injector plugs.

#16 ·
If you swap the entire wiring harness you will have no problems at all, I pulled my cortina apart to nothing and rebuilt it backup once, just pull the harness out and put it back, its a fairly simply job when the car is stripped apart.

As you will only need 1 car to run for a start, pull apart one first and be ready to go (and a good learning exercise), then do the second one (you will be an expert by now), I reckon you could have the swap done in a weekend (1 car up and running), if you put in the hard yakka, had a few mates well be as easy as.

You can always do a quick mock connection to see if it fires, before bolting all back in, better sooner than later to know you may have a problem.

Dellboy999

#17 ·
Ah...

Swapping the engine bay harness will not give you the cluster plugs.
Added to which, they frequently seem to have changed the desing and number of plugs holding the engine bay loom and computer loom together, with the possible result you may have to modify one or both looms regardless in order to make them join together.

For instance, many of the early serI EAs I have pulled apart had a square plug joining the two looms, but most later ones have the round plug, then some of your later EBs have no plug at all, rather the wires are routed through the inside of the car. Some EAs actually do not use a plug, preferring to make the two looms inseparable.

So if I were you I'd check first, man! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.