EA FAIRMONT GHIA factory lsd kicking only one wheel??? help!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2003, 04:30   #1 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

EA FAIRMONT GHIA factory lsd kicking only one wheel??? help!!!

hey there, my cars got a factory lsd (what ever the ratio is that comes on a ea faimont ghia) but its only kicking one wheel. i blew my trans about a month or two ago, since fitting a second hand trans ive only been able to kick one wheel, its very fustrating and starting to really piss me off! any one know of any common problems with these diffs or what i can do to get it to back to lsd it would be appreciated. also what ratio diff is recommended if i upgrade? thanks.
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2003, 08:10   #2 (permalink)

My LSD has done the same thing for a while, although my problem may not be the same as yours (different car and all :) ). What my problem is is that the clutch pack in the diff has worn out. You can get it fixed fairly easily.

It may have just been coincidence that your LSD died at the same time as the other work you had done. An LSD should not (could not, IMO) be effected by the fact that the transmission has changed.

-Truffles
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:28   #3 (permalink)

Re: EA FAIRMONT GHIA factory lsd kicking only one wheel??? help!!!

Try changing the fluid. I used Castrol SAF-XA or something (full synthetic diff fluid) and it tightened the diff up alot.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 10:34   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Yeah I'd think the clutches inside are worn. Falcon diff's are clutch packs aren't they? They don't use cones at all no?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:25   #5 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

They use cones.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 17:56   #6 (permalink)
300+rwkw DC LTD Member

If you've done too many turning burnouts ta=hat will kill the limo. When they go they go. They're not very reco friendly, usually require replacing. Mine went so I had it replaced when I changed the gears.
Stereo by ///Alpine
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 00:41   #7 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

They are cone and yes they do wear out when driven hard.

Just get a changeover lsd center froma diff joint.
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 06:15   #8 (permalink)
Fu(kn Slow & Low

im going to get my car checked out on saturday, my speedo is out by 8km/h so they have to fix that for me, ill ask them what they think of the diff. also if i change to a eb/d xr6 diff do i need to change everything or just the center???
White 1988 EA Fairmont Ghia ~ Gassed ~ EF camshaft ~ Lowered on super low king springs (not low enough) ~ 2.5inch cat back exhaust system with one muffler ~ Clear indicators ~ Simota POD filter ~ New head built for gas ~ 3.23 open wheeler diff ~ EF XR 16inch rims ~ pioneer deck and rear speakers ~ sony front speakers ~ kyb shocks

driving a 3 speed auto with no second gear!!!
Need PSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline