Originally Posted by Damo
A few questions, first though, hi to everyone!
I have a Series 2 EA with the electronic 4sp, and I am getting it converted to auto after going through 3gb's
1. The mechanic I have been quoted by said he priced the EA manual GB, would that be a T5 like I have heard people refer to?
2. Is it a good gearbox?
3. Should be aiming for an XR6 GB?
4. Is there anything I should be looking out for?
1. Yes, EA is a T5. Aside from exceptions with the new falcons, all falcon 5 speeds are some generation of T5.
2. They have good and bad points. If you drive it hard you can kill it (flat changing, burnouts etc). Make sure it always has good fluid (of the correct type, dextron + lubrisol additive) and it will last a long time. They are not the nicest feeling box, but this can be fixed with short shift kits.
3. Apparently there is something different with the xr boxes, but I dont know what it is. Maybe different 1st gear or better bearings. I know mal wood charge more for a xr box than a standard box.
4. Newer the box the better. AFAIK
on EF/EL models they refined the box to stop them crunching into reverse. Also make sure you fit a nice new clutch cable and keep it in good condition. As they wear, the clutch gets heavier and heavier and the pressure will break your pedal box and tear your firewall (very common in manual falcons). Find out if you get a manual computer with the conversion, although you can get by without it, it is better to have it.
Also bear in mind that after it is done, you will have to spend a lot more money on tyres :)