Ford Forums banner

EA Trans options

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  needturbo6 
#1 ·
Currently have a 3 Speed Auto in the EA. When i fit the new motor, im was thinking of changing it for something else. Now I dont want to fit a T5 right now as i have an auto licence and id speed WAY TOOO MUCH with one lol

So whats my options?
Was thinking of...

1) EL 4 Speed Auto
2) C4 Auto with Quick Shifter and High stall converter
3) Stick with the 3 speed or as i like to call it "clunkmaster 1000"

Id really like the 4 speed but seems like alot of work due to the rear crossmember being different (as seen in Dellboy's conversion)

Just curious to see what people think

#3 ·
i reckon for an auto get a low k EB/ED 4sp, as the adjustable bands are adjustable without having to rebuild the box and ive also heard they have a better oil pump...
EL's also dont have a factory filler tube (where the dipstick goes) but can be made to suit.

u will have to change the computer as they are electronically controlled, i wouldnt know which one tho.
and would be best to get/make an electronic shift kit for it.

#4 ·
T_terror, i can get a EA with a T5 in it for next to nothing, (think he wants actually nothing for the car). Was thinking of putting it in, but would just rather a auto right now. Needturbo6, id like to fit a 4 speed auto but from what ive heard its alot of work due to the crossmember being diffrerent spaces.

#6 ·
InitialD said:
T_terror, i can get a EA with a T5 in it for next to nothing, (think he wants actually nothing for the car). Was thinking of putting it in, but would just rather a auto right now. Needturbo6, id like to fit a 4 speed auto but from what ive heard its alot of work due to the crossmember being diffrerent spaces.

Good idea. Get a BTR 4speed and give me that EA for free :)

#7 ·
Here's a thought T_Terror, U put a 4 Speed auto in my car, ill give u the EA! lol

#9 ·
InitialD said:
id like to fit a 4 speed auto but from what ive heard its alot of work due to the crossmember being diffrerent spaces.
I think that all e-series cars have 2 mounting points for crossmembers. The front mount is for 3 and 5 speed boxes and the rear (abount 2 inches back) is for the 4 speed. If I am right, then there is no problem as far as crossmembers go.

#10 ·
InitialD said:
Needturbo6, id like to fit a 4 speed auto but from what ive heard its alot of work due to the crossmember being diffrerent spaces.

the 4speed auto came out in the later EA's so all that is needed is the crossmember from one of those and other bits to complete it.
cant see why it would be difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.