ED sprint clutch mount prob. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2004, 22:10   #1 (permalink)

ED sprint clutch mount prob.

My ED XR8 sprint is in need of a new/repaired pedal box, as the clutch mount has destroyed itself. Im under the impression that this is a common problem with the E-series models.

The pedal is grinding its mount and is slowly sinking closer to the floor. I havent had a decent look under there yet to see just what is destroyed. Ive decided to tackle it this weekend and was wondering if anyone has replaced/fixed the mount. If a replacement is required, what model pedal boxes would be compatible? Is a new assembly from ford avail? Ive read in a previous post that partial removal of the dash and steering colomn is necessary, is this true?

Thanks for any help.
barnesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2004, 22:14   #2 (permalink)
NOW STARK EA

Re: ED sprint clutch mount prob.

Yeh probably, ive been lucky, eveything else has gone! Little clips that hold the pedal on, the pivot thing was cracked, firewall fell apart, cable snapped, everything else...

Id like to hear aswell...
Rayos
Red_EB_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 22:15   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

usually the problem is the firewall gets cracked and needs a re-inforced plate welded in, this usally where the clutch cable goes throught the firewall, I havent heard of pedal boxes breaking before.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 22:58   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, ive heard of numerous firewall cracking stories, some clutch mount failures. I hope the mount is not beyond repair, as ive been driving it like this for a while now.

BTW: The firewall in mine is perfect though, ford might have fixed that problem on the ED's???
barnesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:31   #5 (permalink)

The problem was apparently "fixed" in the EFs by using a clutch cradle with a longer arm (better mechanical advantage, less load on firewall and pedal box). I think the problem may also have a lot to do with ppl not changing the clutch cable as it wears.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:52   #6 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesey
The firewall in mine is perfect though, ford might have fixed that problem on the ED's???
Nope, the firewall in my ED XR8 was cracked at where the clutch cable went through. This is a very common problem with manual E-series cars. If yours is not cracked, I say get a plate of at least 2mm thick welded in, front and back, to make sure you won't have issues later.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline