Ford Forums banner

ED XR6 diff ratio

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  EDXR8 
#1 ·
Hi,
If I can't sell my car I want to change the diff ratio in it.
1. What ratio is it at the moment?
2. Are any other falcons with a ratio of about 3.9 that will fit mine?
3. Where can I get a 3.9 ratio for it?
Any info appreciated.
Thanx
Steve

#2 ·
Well, on my XF, if you get under it, and look at the rear of the diff centre, theres a little metal tag on it, that says the diff ratio on it.
Just give it a wipe with turps to get the dust off it first, and it <i>should</i> have it on there.

But im not sure if all diffs have such a tag on them.

#3 ·
Yeah mines got that metal tag on the diff as well. I think it's on all falcons.

#4 ·
I think it has a 3.45 ratio at the moment. I remeber reading somewhere that you can buy the gears and put them in your diff, depending on how mechanical minded you are. That would probably be the cheapest option.

I don't think any other falcons had higher than the 3.45. I could be wrong so don't quote me on it.

#5 ·
you can quote me, all XR sedans right from the EB have got 3.45:1 as has been said,
EA2 auto 3.23:1
EB2 auto 3.27:1
ED auto 3.08:1 (and it hurts it big time)
can't remember the EF and EL ratio's.
Wagon's and manuals vary from the above.

#6 ·
BOF 351 said:
you can quote me, all XR sedans right from the EB have got 3.45:1 as has been said,

Would the diff (or just the centre) off say the EA2 or EB2 fit onto an XF sedan ? Or can just the guts be transfered into an XF diff?

Thanks.

#7 ·
XF Falcon said:

Would the diff (or just the centre) off say the EA2 or EB2 fit onto an XF sedan ? Or can just the guts be transfered into an XF diff?

Thanks.
I have wondered about this my self many many times. Looking underneath the EA-EL even AU the diff looks exactly the same including mounting points. Not sure about the tailshaft however, but i doubt that would be different. Should try it and see, and let the rest of us know :)

Cheers
Matt

PS love your chickz website. It rocks!!!!

#9 ·
XF Falcon said:

Thanks.
Can't recall the details, but I think there's a problem if you've got a 2.77 diff in XF as the carrier is different to other ratios. Or something. Someone will know.

#10 ·
BOF 351 said:
EF-EL auto 3.08 :eek:o1: (should have the 3.27)
EF-EL man 3.23 :s5

As far as i know this goes for both wagon and sedans. I have heard that the fairmonts have 3.23.

#13 ·
I disagree with the 3.27:1 ratio in the ED XR, but there you go.

#15 ·
I am now not sure about the XR6, but the XR8 had the 3.27 ratio until the EL series 2, when they changed to 3.45. I don't think the XR6 got the 3.45 until the EF or EL either, but I am not sure. I got mine done through SA Race in Adelaide, but try any good diff / trans mechanic. If they have done it before, they will know they will have to shim it to fit. Aparrantly it is quite difficult and takes a couple of hours so don't get a backyarder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.