ef 5ltr conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2004, 00:14   #1 (permalink)

ef 5ltr conversion

hi guys i am thinking of converting my xr8 into a manual i was woundering what parts will i need and how much will i be looking at for the all the parts an is it hard to install your self with a few mates
gav184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 13:20   #2 (permalink)
5.0 ED Wagon

Re: ef 5ltr conversion

Just finished doing my V8 wagon. Hardest bit for me was taking out the old pedal box and putting in the new one. You and one of your mates can pull out the auto in 2 hours. Need the basics like flywheel, clutch, spigot bearing, clutch cable and depending on what box you wanna fit a gearbox+bellhousing. Trick your ECU too or just get a manual one.

Got my gearbox and pedal box plus console boot for gearstick for $750. Modifications to the gearbox cost me $250, flywheel cost me $450 and bellhousing and clutch fork cost me $500. Clutch cable cost me $78 and the clutch (GT and sprint) cost me $360. Resistors for the ECU cost me $1.10. Gearbox oil cost $20. New gear knob cost me $28. Not cheap but well worth it. Better acceleration, better fuel economy and vastly more responsive.
Old 12-19-2004, 23:24   #3 (permalink)

ive been told that you can use the one out of the 6 just need a diffrent bell housing
Old 12-19-2004, 23:48   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

holly crap!! $2437.10 just to convert to manual!! thats damn exspenive!! there isnt a cheaper way? maybe all second hand bits?

Last edited by davway; 12-19-2004 at 23:49. Reason: drinking doesnt equal spelling.
davway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 00:13   #5 (permalink)

ive been told that someone makes a bell housing for the 6 gearbox to fit into the 8 saves you about a 1000
Old 12-20-2004, 02:54   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav184
ive been told that someone makes a bell housing for the 6 gearbox to fit into the 8 saves you about a 1000
yeah, i'd be interested in doing this this too, but i've read here in other threads that the input shaft is shorter. wouldn't that put the crossmember and tailshaft out of wack?
castlemain rod shop do all sorts of conversions, but the e-series i6 t5 onto a windsor v8 ain't listed.
sam12h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 15:10   #7 (permalink)
5.0 ED Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam12h
yeah, i'd be interested in doing this this too, but i've read here in other threads that the input shaft is shorter. wouldn't that put the crossmember and tailshaft out of wack?
castlemain rod shop do all sorts of conversions, but the e-series i6 t5 onto a windsor v8 ain't listed.
See dellows in Sydney. Beware not to get the old fella cranky or he wont help you. You've been warned! There is another thread here that discusses the parts/modifications needed.

Yes Davway, it wasn't cheap at all. All brand new gear except for the rec'oed box. You do it and I tell you now, you wont go back. The biggest expense overall was the actual conversion items such as the housing and flywheel, which incidentally is an absolute ripoff. I had to get it as I was stranded in Maitland and I wasn't going to pay for someone to take out the auto and then tell me that is was stuffed. If you could find me an auto that was reco'ed and for a similar price, at the time, I may have just gone for the auto. But the trip back home reinforced that the idea was the right one. With the money I spent, I would've liked to put that into something like new heads for the 8. Maybe next time.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline