EF/EL ghia manual conversion?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2004, 11:18   #1 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

EF/EL ghia manual conversion??

Hey guys,

I know this topic has been covered before, I did a search but haven't found many concrete answers.

I want to know what needs to be done to install a 5 speed into an i6 EF/EL ghia. From what I've heard, the problem lies with the high series BEM not being compatible with a ghia's ECU as there were no manual ghia's??? I just need to understand in more detail what the technicalities are as I'm having a little trouble understanding were the problem lies. Why exactly can't a manual ECU from an XR6 for example be used with the High series BEM??

My car has the tickford enhanced i6 if that makes any difference...

Thanx in advance :)

Old 05-21-2004, 18:40   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: EF/EL ghia manual conversion??

You mean you garage floor has the XR6 I6

XR6 BEM is mid series. You'd lose a heap of functions if you put one in. The only high series manual ECU is from an EL GT 5 speed, doubt you'd ever track one down though.

Wait I just re-read what you wrote. I thought you could use any ECU with any BEM, aren't they seperate?
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 18:52   #3 (permalink)

They are seperate, i think there is only one wire that links the BEM to the ECU, and thats smartlock.
BUT, if your car is EF only get EF BEM and ECU...if your car is EL then only get EL BEM and ECU, otherwise youll encounter problems with different plugs wiring setups.

(Also, if you have any EL manual ECUs or High series BEMs, let me know because i need one)
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 19:00   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Ah I keep forgeting that. Steve, EL GT BEM would be useless to you anyway.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 20:41   #5 (permalink)
known as tibbo

i dont see what the problem would be, could you not just trick the ecu into a 'false' neutral reguardless of the series ECU..

You could do it at the plug for the inhibitor switch, so i dont know what it has to do with the ECU or BEM
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 21:06   #6 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

yep, just trick the ECU to belive the box is in neutral.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 23:03   #7 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho chicken
Wait I just re-read what you wrote. I thought you could use any ECU with any BEM, aren't they seperate?
Well yeah that's exactly my point, I don't see why people say that you can't just use a manual ECU with a high series BEM, because they are two seperate computers. Does the BEM have anything to do with transmission function?? If it were the case that I needed a different ECU, does that mean that a ghia's ECU is different to that of a lower series? I don't see how it'd function any differently, ad therefore were the problem lies in installing a manual into a ghia?????
Old 05-21-2004, 23:06   #8 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
yep, just trick the ECU to belive the box is in neutral.
Well isn't this what most people that have done manual conversions in EA-ED do anyway???
Old 05-21-2004, 23:12   #9 (permalink)

Well im running a EL Auto ecu in my manual car
What i did was:
- Join the two inhibitor switch wires at the gearbox loom directly, so the car will start. (Because in an auto the car wont start unnless its in Park)
- Add a resistor to the auto temperature wires to enable the thermofans to operate based on temperature opposed to constantly.
- Add another resister at the ecu, to trick the ecu into thinking the car is in neutral all the time.
1966 Blue Ford Galaxie - 4Dr Sedan, Pwr Steering, 302 Windsor, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, 650 Holley Race Custom , Crow Cam 15666, Rollmaster Camgear, Heads Ported, MSD 6AL Ignition, MSD Billet Dizzy, Crane Energizer Roller Rockers, C4 - Stage 2 Shift Kit, HiStall 2500rpm, B&M Z-Gate Shifter, XY GT Radiator, 2.92 9" Diff, Dual Thermofans, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, RCI 16gal Fuel Cell.
AusCaRnAgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 23:35   #10 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Ok, how well has this worked for you?? I have heard many stories about idle problems when "tricking" the auto ecu? I would still rather put in a manual ECU, but I may use the auto ecu as a temporary fix.

BTW I was reading up another similar thread were fordfan351's bem kept dying when using a manual ecu??? How can this be possible? What can the ecu possibly do to caus the BEM to fail??

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline