Ford Forums banner

ef II fairmont ghia diff

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ChuBBz 
#1 ·
Hi guys im just wondering about the diffs on the fairmont ghia, I know that it is limitied slip as it is an ef2 and that the ratio is 3.45:1 but what would be more beneficial in terms of getting more off the line grunt but still maintaining good revs on the highway. My car has 142kw at the rear, is a 4 speed auto and at 110km/h it roughly sits on 2200 rpm in fourth.

Can i just change diff centres or do i have to change whole diff.

look forward to your input

YLDSIX

G
#2 ·
Hi yldsix

Just diff centre - but would include all bearings once diff is apart. Maybe even axle bearings. Just had my ef xr8 changed from 3.23 to 3.45. Noiceably quicker off mark but also revs out quicker. I would not go higher for my car!

Tim

G
#4 ·
No trouble champ!

I guess your asking diff price- $890 give or take a few dollars( can't find receipt) That was bearings and gears. Maybe could have got cheaper if I had more patience to ring around and bargain!

As for rear wheel kw's - no idea! Is your 142rwkw standard or modified (I'm assuming modified)?

#10 ·
sorry guys

sorry guys i checked my tag it is a 3.23 ratio diff but still to expensive to upgrade

And yes i am very happy with the dev conversion and thought it was well worth the dosh.

My mate at work had a lash at it tonight and couldn't believe the how much go it had even with the sluggish auto tranny and he has been in alot of fast cars. his words were "it would flog any standard 5.0 commodore", and he is a holden man.

thanks for your input guys

yldsix

#11 ·
it costs about $700-$1100 to get your diff changed to 3.45 or any diff ratio you want.

ring up a diff place, hunt around for prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.