EF/L XR6/8 Diff into EA

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mike Gayner 
#1 ·
i want to get the 3.45 lsd diff into my ea but am unsure whats involved
will the diff go straight in ?
any modifications required?

Thanks

#3 ·
i have done it to an XF and it all went pretty smoothly but i am unsure whats different on the ea-ed

#5 ·
i didn't use the EF/EL tailshaft - i just swapped the yokes over on the diffs, they are both BW. i did however have to swap the lower trailing arm bushes to EL XR ones, and i had to get 2 new flexible brake lines to suit the EL calipers and i am yet to sort out the handbrake cable issue.

#6 ·
To put the diff from an EF or later into an EA- ED theres a few things to consider.

Brakes: Run the original brakes and discs that were on the old diff. The EF/L has a very different brake system. The original discs/ caliper plates will need to be swapped over which is easy. The brake line junction point (breather hose) is also mounted further out than EA/D diffs. You need to be cretive and bend the lines a little.
Axles: If you have a 28 spline diff its best to use the axles from your diff as the EF/L studs are longer and some of the earlier wheel nuts have closed ends and bottom out before the wheel is tight. If you have 25 spline axles you will most likely need to get open end nuts.
Tailshaft: An EA will need the later model (EB onward) tailshaft. You can change the yokes over as someone mentioned above.
Trailing arms: If possible use the EF/L upper trailing arms. They will clear the diff housing when diff is at its full travel. Some diff's (xr diffs do) use different upper trailing arm bolt hole positions to apparently increase handling. If it is going into an EA you will need to either get EB style bushes pressed into the diff side of the lower trailing arm. OR get EA bushes pressed into the body side of the EF lower trailing arms. This doesnt apply to EB onward as they use the wide style bushes from then on.

I did this to my Eb2 Ghia with an EF XR6 diff.

#12 ·
Sure can, the only center that isnt compatible with the rest of the Falcon diffs is the 2.77. Other than that, changing the center over is a fairly straight forward procedure. Changing to a different crownwheel and pinion is a little more complicated because you have to set bearing preload, which is a little tricky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.