Ford Forums banner

EF manual conversion

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ACNTRL 
#1 ·
Been ringing around a few wreckers about a conversion and they reckon $2,500 + my autobox installed and $1,500 for parts only. Both figures r a bit more than I had budgeted so I guess I'm gonna have to DIY...

I know these conversions have been discussed to death here but there's still a few things I don't get:

1. Do I need a new flywheel? I'd imagine I would but I've never heard it mentioned on FF. Also I've read something about a "spigot bearing", would I need that?

2. Can I use just any T5 with the right bellhousing? I'd imagine the EA-AU bellhousings are all the same. Would all teh T5's have the same wiring? Is there a way to tell if a box is rooted before driving it?

Hope to start the conversion soon, like next week. Gonna do it in steps and put in the pedal box first. That way I can still drive the car around while I hunt for the other parts. Supposedly it's the most time consuming part of the conversion. Hopefully the gearbox will just drop straight out and the electrics won't be too much of a bitch...

#3 ·
You will the flywheel from the manual box, best to get it machined.

you will also need the spigot bearing which goes in the end of the crankshaft.

I know that EA-EL will fit, I dont know about AU, also the computer for the auto is attached to the side of the pedal box.

#6 ·
Went and saw the guy today, worked out an even better deal: for $350 he's gonna remove and sell me the gearbox, shifter, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel! Putting a deposit down tomorrow, don't know when he's gonna be bothered getting it out though... :(

So far things are really looking up for the conversion, gonna go buy the pedal box tomorrow and put that in first so I can practice flat shifting and heel toeing! :driver:

cogo_81, what am I supposed to do with the computer? Take it out with the pedal box? On the wiring side of things, I read there's a wiring loom for the manual that will connect to the auto's old one, but if I take out the auto computer, I assume all the wiring to the autobox would be useless...

#8 ·
just ring up J-D and Revolution and get a price and then ring the wreckers and see how much it would be and mabe ask Yogi if he whould help you im sure he would be hapy to and you know if i can help you with anything i will bro ok so see how you go :)

Mick

#10 ·
lol your so funny :p (said by troy stimo) XCHASR lmao.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.