EF XR8 Diff Dramas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2003, 15:44   #1 (permalink)

EF XR8 Diff Dramas

Howdy All,

My EF XR8 which has been in my hands since I was 19 (2.5 yrs ago) has just clicked over 100 000kms and has started to get really bad sounds and "single wheeling" from the diff. Historically the diff was 100% reliable and allowed me to rip into a burnout (on the track of course) and put it wherever I desired with pinpoint accuracy. I have been pretty hard on the car, which has probably had about 8 pairs of rear tyres since I got it...

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problems??? Am I up for all new LSD internals? Or could it be (not that it ever is) a simple easy to fix problem? I only ask coz as many of you out there will know, juggling a full time job and keeping the pride & joy in good repair is sometimes quite difficult...
bennoxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2003, 20:26   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Re: EF XR8 Diff Dramas

These use the cone type diff and it sounds like the cones are finally worn. I'm unsure whether the EF had the shim type diff and if so a quick addition of shims can tighten it up. Otherwise it's a cone replacement.

If you're in Sydney give Richard Craft at Craft Diffs a call. He's a wizz!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 16:13   #3 (permalink)

From what you've said, your diff will definitely be stuffed. It will be a cone type LSD and they don't take abuse well. I've worn them out in a single rally of about 200km competitive. The cones can be machined, though. I have gone to a spool arrangement, but this is illegal and dangerous in a road car.
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 23:10   #4 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

If you do burnouts, something will break, simple as that. Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against a big fat skid, but you always pay the price.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 14:16   #5 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Any general ideas for what you would expect to pay for a cone replacement ? I'm fairly sure that the diff is very very loose ( I think its now a true LSD - Lotsa Slip Diff ). I've been trying to get organised and get this sorted, but I've been letting it slide since I'm trying to avoid getting raped by bodgy diff place...

Oh, its a EL XR8 with 3.23 lsd
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline

Related Reading: EF XR8 Diff Dramas