Ford Forums banner

el 5 speed into eb

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  NZ 
#1 ·
answers from those that have done it?

Q. will i loose my lean cruise im using my eb auto computer...

Q. Do i need to trick the ecu into thinking its in drive but then it will idle to high?? i could trick it to be in neutral, but then will it take load when im in gear

Q. would i be better of getting an ea 3speed ecu.... that doesnt take inputs from the auto like the eb one.

Q. The el manual uses a mount that looks like the 4 speed one, ive been told all i use is the 4 speed crosmeber moved foward... is this the go...

#2 ·
I believe as far as computer goes you have to trick the ecu into thinking its in neutral. I'm not the man to talk to though, Se what NZ says as hes done it before...

I think Thanatos has as well.

Cheers
Dan

#5 ·
That lean cruise and 'D' or 'N' idle is controlled by the clutch switch, so if you do it all properly you shouldn't have a problem. As for the ECU, get yourself a proper ED 5 speed one and it'll be sweet as pie. I don't think you have to do any wiring mods this way.

You wouldn't be able to use the EA one because your car would be Smartlock wouldn't it?

Sundeep

#7 ·
changed mine from auto to manual, still using the smartlock ed auto ECU, used a few 50c reistors from dicksmith, Get the rough or low idle sometimes, but thats it ..

Also, with the cruise, the only thing I had to do was short out the inhibitor switch wires, that made the ECU thing it was in N or P, cruise still works great ... :)

good luck!

#8 ·
Its a pretty simple mod to do I had to do it on my 5l even though it has the seperate trans computer. The 5l has an engine running mode where it limits engine output in reverse (auto). Sooo when i converted to manual I thought it would be all fine. Cept 2nd actually accelerated harder than 1st. What happens is the trans computer sends a code to the EEC to say 'im in reverse' or 'im not in reverse. Now when it doesnt get a code at all the EEC assumes it is in reverse untill the engine speed vs road speed gets to such a point it CANT possibly be in reverse. Hence I lost power in 1st. It was enough that the car was marginally over the 1/4 than when it was auto 15.95 vs 15.96.

But anyway kinda strayed off topic as you dont have an 8cyl.

In yourcase it affects the idle because it has stratagies it uses and when several bits of info it will be looking for arent there it kicks up a stink.

Basically you need to use a few resitors and create a fake transmission which is set to be in neutral. Have a read through this thread. The reistance values are all the same for all auto's just the pin outputs will be different. Have a read through it and I can work out the appropriate wiring you need to modify on yout EEC loom (tommorrow :p)

#9 ·
thanks a heap mate..i was thinking of just using the switch of the side of the auto and leaving it the but with it in drive position... but then the idle will be to hi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.