Ford Forums banner

EL Auto clunking - fixable ?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Fords for life 
#1 ·
I've noticed my EL has started to thump when shifting 1st->2nd after it warms up - the first few (maybe 10-15) kms are OK. It's now clocked up close to 190000kms.

I had it checked out - brown foamy fluid and the shop pulled the pan. There was a small ammount of crap in the filter (maybe 1 teaspoon) - looked like mostly clutch lining and some metal. There was also some very fine metal "dust" in the bottom of the pan, but this didnt appear to be unusual from my previous experience with motorcycle gearboxes etc after this kind of distance.

The shop replaced the lost fluid, but I am pretty sure they didnt drain the TC, so most of the fluid will still be original - I'm sure Ford service has never touched it. The quote was around 2000$ for an overhaul job, which I'm not sure I need just yet. So my questions for those who have been there and returned...

What is the best approach to take ?
What is the chances that a complete flush will keep it going - how far - and is it worthwhile at about 250$ ?
Can I do the complete drain and flush myself easily (ie without a hoist and fluid pump etc) ?
What would an S5 solenoid cost and can I replace that myself (I have good mechanical & electronic skills and tools?)

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks David - I got the solenoid checked this morning at A-class Automatics in Granville, it was leaking like the proverbial sieve.

The mechanic replaced it on the spot and she's now running perfectly again.

The whole job took less than an hour, including the test drive so the team at A-class were fast, and did a great job for me.

#4 ·
Id ford have never touched the gearbox, and it's done 190,000km's, you've done extremely well to get this far.

I got a complete rebuild for my automatic 4 speed in my EF XR6 for $650. It was done by a friend who owns a brake and clutch place..

Try getting a complete flush, and re-fluid. If that fails, it's about 1500 retail to get the box reconditioned, with bands, clutches, etc..

good luck

#6 ·
I've got the same issue. I've never worried about fixing it. It's been doing it for the last 50,000k's. The box has 220,000k's on it. I keep meaning to get around to changing the fluid but never get around to it. I know the fluids thin as it was last (supposedly) changed at 110,000. That was a dealer I asked to flush it. I got charged for it and the fluid was still brown. My guess is the took the $ and did nothing to it.

I'm curious to see what the costs of changing the solenoid are also?

#7 ·
nibor_24 said:
I don't know if anyone is reading this thread anymore but I thought I would post anyway. I am experienceing the exact same problem with my auto EL and was wondering how much it would cost (roughly) to have the bands adjusted and the solonoids checked?
u would be better off going to get the box serviced cause they have to remove the tranny pan to check the solinoids.
i got my tanny serviced not so long ago and they told me that the 1st to 2nd gear solinoid fails alot in the fords.
shouldnt cost to much $200 at the most with solinoid
cheers

#9 ·
NC 5ltr said:
u would be better off going to get the box serviced cause they have to remove the tranny pan to check the solinoids.
i got my tanny serviced not so long ago and they told me that the 1st to 2nd gear solinoid fails alot in the fords.
shouldnt cost to much $200 at the most with solinoid
cheers
G'day,
don't be scared about pulling the pan to check the solenoids....ya gotta pull it to service properly anyway. The filter is in there :)

I don't feel so bad about some of the tranny stories here.
Mine did 375,000 odd before it quit totally....the first 250 without a decent cooler....i tow a lot(not a simple 6x4 either) and drive flat to the boards from cold.

Mine has has 4 band adjustments in the last 100,000 but they were getting closer together. I found that reverse was first to give up, i.e it wouldn't look at backing on an incline, but I was a bit slow with an adjustment this time, and it won't go forward...also fluid is silver...i'd say she's shagged :priest:

Cheers
Jas

#10 ·
I got `97 EL. Had 170000km on the clock when i purchased it. After mini burnout comp between me & my mates the EL started acting up. Cold start one morning revealed I had no 1st n` 2nd was stubborn. Dropping the pan at a trans shop revealed she`d completely stripped 1st, tore chucks out of 2nd n 3rd wasnt far from f****ed!!! $2,500 for rebuild. ..and another 4months later. 266.000kms now n shes goin alright i guess. Trans feels very tight (clunking) when changing gears but theres never any filings or signs of wear in the pan when its checked every service. :beerbottl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.