Ford Forums banner

Electronic Shift Kit

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  useless 
#1 ·
Hey just a little post about the stage 2 shift kit i brought of 9psieb,
i installed it today, took about half an hour very straight forward. took my car for a drive and didnt really expect to much but my god, like a completely different gearbox... i would definantaly recomend this to anyone that wanted a kick out of there gearbox but didnt want to really spend big bucks!!!. driving down the road and changing to second gear the tyres just lit up, extremely good mod...
Anyways thats my 2 cents, someone has proabaly already posted about this mod but i had to say somethin... Anyways cheers to 9psieb for a fantastic mod,

Kurt

#4 ·
Ive read alot on these shift kits.... they really do sound good, i was definetly going to get one if i got an auto as my first car but i got the manual, im yet to ride in one with a shiftkit but chirping the wheels at 80 kays sounds allright in my books anytime lol!!!

#6 ·
whats the diff between the kit and just changing gears using the gear stick?

how much r they?

#7 ·
the kit actually does the gear changes faster, so it's out of gear for less time...
there are plans on 9psi's site to build your own at the cost of a couple of resistors, so probably under $1.00 but u may want a switch...

#12 ·
I was going to ask actually if the kit puts a lot more pressure on the gearbox or transmission? Has anyone actually damaged theirs from fitting it? Otherwise it sounds like an excellent cheap mod.

Kirk

#15 ·
yes I do as the early xr8's came standard with trans coolers. Its not a huge unit but it does the job nicely. I recommend one if u intend to fit the kit, like walkinshaw mentioned. Preferably a heavy duty unit.

I wouldnt recommend using it while cruising, as I have found it will want to shift hard while not under load, and thats not good. Only use when you intend to give your car some stick otherwise keep it turned off all other times.

#17 ·
The shift kit, is meant to put less stress on your gearbox and therefore it will last longer.

But as the others said, get your car serviced and get them to chuck a tranny cooler in it.

#23 ·
Hi guys today I went to jaycar and got a variable potentiometer(resistor) 5 ohm 10 watt.with a numbered dial knob.Also picked up a fat 18ohm 10 watt resistor.Driiled 2 holes in my fuse covers and mounted the switches.I can vary resistance to s5 from 5 to 0 ohms and thus alter the agressiveness of the shifts it worked really well.The only addition I did is an isolation switch for the18 ohm power wire as it continues to draw current when the car is off.Must give credit to 9psi ..he really knows his stuff Thanks and thanks again!!! :wnc:

#24 ·
Tried the Jaycar method myself but as "useless" said , he knows his stuff and with switchable settings it's a bargain. The mod is good for the box as it gives a stiffer shift (less slippage and wear) but it is recommended to use a heavy duty cooler as heat is one of the biggest killers of the 4spds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.