Ford Forums banner

Engine/Diff Conversion day

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Walkinshaw 
#1 ·
Well the 5.0 is now in the Fairmont, so far the compatability of the conversion has really surprised me.

Firstly much to my surprise, and contrary to what most people told me, the engine crossmember did not have to be changed. The mounts slipped on with ease.

Also the wiring looms for the dash and engine are also almostly entirely identical, with only two additional plugs on the XR8 loom.
I will however have to drop the up spec power steering from the Fairmont though as the XR8 loom does not faciliate it. It's also looking likely that I will also loose Climate control with the changeover.

I did changeover to the XR8 upper control arms when i changed the diff as well, they had a slightly different angle to the standard which from what i've read offers better traction off the line.

I'm hoping to have the whole conversion completed by Sunday night, just engine ancillaries, gearbox, tailshaft and dash to go. With the exhaust due for fitting wednesday next week everything is coming together well.:hy:

Hopefully I'll have pics of the motor when the job is all down.

Regards

See less See more
#2 ·
It was looking good when i was there on Sunday. Good to hear its comming together.

Cant wait to see it in the flesh

I dont see how you would loose the climate control, as the dash loom is seprate from the injector loom and is run by the BEM. Im assumming you using the Fairmont BEM (to faciliate climate+4door power windows).

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.