Engine Transplant Proposition - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2003, 17:42   #1 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Engine Transplant Proposition

Had a customer in today who has an XY 6cyl. and is restoring as best he can to new car spec. Except....he would like to put an EF/EL 4.0L in the engine instead of the old 6.

Can anyone advise on problems?..Mods etc. Engine mounts, gearbox mounts all will have to be changed. Fuel system, computer etc, will be donated from a wreck of course. But he would like to know if anyone has attempted this setup and the pro's con's etc.

Personally I'd go the V8 but he likes the power of the EF/EL 6 and does alot of daily driving.

ViGiLaNte
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2003, 18:19   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

sounds like an interesting project, Remember though, going from leaded to unleaded is a bit of a bitch depending what state you are in, obviously you will need all the emissions crap but small things like welding in a smaller fuel filler neck ( so unleaded pertrol bowser fits only ) often came up when i was contemplating a 302w EFI powered XM Falcon.
Something will have to be done to the fuel tank to accomodate the return line, mounts shouldnt be too much of a problem as the ford 6 really hasnt changed all the much since the 144 as far as block width etc goes

its definately possible but will require alot of work, im sure someone else could shed a little more light

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 19:59   #3 (permalink)

Engine mounts from an XG ute should allow mounting of the 4.0ltr, not sure of the gear box cross member, one from an XG may bolt straight in. He will need to run new high pressure fuel lines for EFI, but if he needs a return line this could be a problem with the existing fuel tank. An ULP fuel filler from an unleaded XF ute or Van should bolt stright in to the rear quarter pannel on the XY. I have seen a number of XY's running EFI 302's but never a 4.0ltr, this sounds like an interesting conversion, with the XY being lighter than current Falcons it should perform very well.
XAXEXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 22:21   #4 (permalink)
V8 XW Ute/APV Kitted EBII

Thumbs up

Ok excellent, I need as much info as possible. This is a ute by the way as well. And like I said before all emission crap will be from a donor vehicle from fuel lines and tank, pumps, blah blah blah.
It does sound like an interesting conversion, he is in NSW.

Id say an XF van/ute fuel filler should slip straight into the spot where the XYs is for the unleaded changeover yes.

More info would be grately appreciated!

ViGiLaNtE
Old 02-09-2003, 05:01   #5 (permalink)
I Love Forced Induction.

If I was doing it I would go a carbied V8.
Old 02-09-2003, 19:06   #6 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

I saw in a street machine mag once a guy that had an XY GT replica with an EL motor, dash and gearbox etc. I'll see if I can find it.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 23:23   #7 (permalink)
plarsson

There is a guy running around brisbane with a serious sleeper. Its a XW/Y 4 door falcon in dog pooh brown, with a 3.9l OHC Turbo, with hand crafted extractors and dual injector rails. This bloke did most of the work himself.

so your swap into the XY ute is do able. You would want a XH/G fueltank as that has the EFI fuel pump set up, XF Panel vans and Utes didn't get the EFI, as far as I can gather.

you might want to be creative with mounting the computer because the ol X series cars that area behind the kick panel is a wet area when it rains.

I haven't got any more details on the guy with the stove hot XW/Y except he was around the Virginia area of brisbane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline