the f****ing clutch again - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2002, 16:34   #1 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

the f****ing clutch again

Well you guys should remember me recently asking about my clutch problem, anyhow today taking off in mahoneys road thomastown the clutch peddal has completely broken. It was stuck in first gear i managed to start the car by having accelerator down as i turned the engine of course the car jumped a little. I drove 5km in first gear and then brought to the mechanic, I was driving in the left hand lane with hazards on, a cop came beside me and asked why i was driving with hazards and i told him the story, he goes "yeh about time you pull over you been driving bloody long enough with your hazards". I didnt realise i was better off driving without hazards on and just drive slowly but I was happy the cops drove off and left it there.
The mechanic is going to fix the whole lot get pedal box and all, probably replace the clutch cable also and will have a look at the firewall as which some of you had told me recently. Job will cost about $350 but hopefully it will be all ok now.
Cheers
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2002, 18:47   #2 (permalink)
Ea EnVy

wholy shit! the actual pedal broke!>? thatsa first. never ehard if this before..good luck dude
Old 03-27-2002, 19:35   #3 (permalink)
V man

gmanEA..... clutch probs, beware!

I also had the same probs with the clutch in my s-pak.
I got it to the mechanic, had to pay for a new pedal box, new clutch cable, welding of the firewall and of course a shit load of labour. Whole thing cost about $850....... I say beware because the assholes ripped me off i think.

I spoke to a bloke at my uni and he rekons it is a relatively easy job and many parts can be bought from the wreckers.

Anyway... since i had it fixed (about 1.5 years ago) the clutch still gets really stiff, like it was before it ****ed up. I have learned now to simply adjust the clutch cable every so often as the nuts which clamp it to the firewall tend to slip due to vibration. easy!

Just thought i would tell you that. cheers.
Old 03-27-2002, 21:42   #4 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

yeh

Thanks VMAN that is what i have been doing, but it can only be continously tightened for so long, I am having everything done that you had done but the mechanin has quoted $350 so i think maybe you got ripped a little.
But yeh the ****ing thing broke right up near where the pedal joins.
Old 03-27-2002, 22:51   #5 (permalink)
Martin

Actually I think youll find that the clutch pedal snapping (or becoming close to it) is quite common even in Falcons as recent as ELs. Its more of a case of when it will happen, not if, especially if the clutch is a heavier one than standard.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:14   #6 (permalink)
EA 238

Clutch

I would have thought it was more likely to be the pedal box and the pedal has fallen of the pivot. They can pull it out and weld it, or get a new one for close to $230 retail from Ford ($170 was best I could do retail elsewhere for genuine Ford). There's a fair bit of labour in it if the box comes out, so $350 is very fair.

If it's the pedal and they replace it, make sure that the clutch switch for the ECU is set properly. I can't remember details, but I think the current part is an ED pedal for the ED box and that it's plate for the clutch switch is located differently to the EA and needs some welding or some rearrangement to fit up to it. If the clutch switch isn't adjusted properly it will be running lean in deceleration mode all the time.
Old 03-28-2002, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

well

After parts and labour it turned out to be $516 which I still do think is pretty fair price. It was a big job. It has new clutch pedal box, and new clutch cable. He said they had to pull the whole dash apart; everything, the stereo, glove box and all damm. But anyway the clutch now is pretty good, its lot further our than it used to be, and it is easy to change gears, also you dont need to have workout your legs to press in the clutch. Also he said the clutch should now hold its position which is damm good.
Old 03-28-2002, 21:58   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: well

He is right. The dash does need to come forward for the pedal box to be changed. I was quoted $120 on labour to do this.
I did it myself, and boy it's a bit of a ball breaker.

Glad ur happy with it now.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline