Ford Forums banner

Fairlane Clutch problems

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rollin 
#1 ·
Hoping someone can help me out here. A couple of days ago, driving home from work, I noticed that the clutch pedal was moving further out than it used to. What I mean is, instead of the pedal sitting in line witht the brake pedal when fully released, it sits about 2 inches further out than it used to. It happened over about 2 kays of driving. However, the operation of the clutch itself hasnt changed at all. I have changed the clutch return spring, but that has made no difference at all. I hope that makes sense, and someone can offer a suggestion or two for a fix. At the moment, I have had to use cable ties to stop the pedal comming all the way up into the dash (again, with no change to the way the clutch itself operates).

Cheers,

Tim

#2 ·
Maybe the pedal box has cracked and is allowing the pedel to rotate towards the dash or downwards but is still operable.

#3 ·
possibly the cable has stretched?

Just a thought...

james

#4 ·
There should be a physical bump stop for the clutch pedel. Take a look and see whats up. Yours was an auto pedel box yeah? I cant remember from when I put the pedelbox in my car but the auto pedel box may not have the bump stop?

#5 ·
so can it just flop around at the top of its travel, and once you push it down it gets to its usual position before it has any effect, or has the whole action of the clutch been moved up 2 inches?

have you tried just adjusting the pedal by the cable?

failing that i cant imagine anything simple being the problem...

#6 ·
cArSiK said:
possibly the cable has stretched?
The way the pedals set up I think it would go closer to the floor, well when you snap a cable it hits the floor. Probably you'd recognise it if it happened, but clutch worn out? My mate did a clutch on an xr6 in a day, but he was thrahing it, riding it pretty often (aka can't drive for nuts).

Donno

#7 ·
if the cable stretches or the clutch plate wears out then the pedal gets higher, because the pressure plate gets closer to the flywheel so the lever action of the throwout arm pulls the cable further than usual, making the pedal rise.

trust me :S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.