A few T5 conversion questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2004, 00:27   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

A few T5 conversion questions

I just went and picked up the box today, just got a few questions on the parts I still need to track down.

1; The clutch kit itself, I know the 3.9 and 4.0 are different, but how? I have an EA T5 and an EB II 4.0 flywheel. The EA pressure plate bolts up to the flywheel, I thought they didn't? Or is it the splines on the input shaft that differ? Please don't tell me I need a 3.9 flywheel!

2; Will the mounting bolts for the auto flex plate bolt the flywheel onto the engine?

3; The freaking box didn't come with a loom......where's the best place to find one? I'm checking Ford, but I don't expect anything cheap.

4; The splines on the slip joint on the EB II tailshaft are different yes? Just whack a yoke on from an EA 4 speed?

5; What cross member should I use? I have one out of the EA and of course I have my EB II 4 speed one.

6; Any places recommended to get a shagged input shaft so I can line the clutch up when I bolt the pressure plate on? Just ask around gearbox places?

No doubt I'll come up with some more things soon enough.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 01:21   #2 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

Re: A few T5 conversion questions

dunno dude I got a EB2 box in my EF but i got it with the clutch and loom and all, all i needed was a spigot bearing and after 40min i was driving a manual EF Futura. The loom get from a wreckers, ford are atrociously expensive on "weird" parts. Some mob in Toowoomba sell the pin you need to attach your clutch to your pedal box, this will save you about 5 hours of work! I think they are called Malwood

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:08   #3 (permalink)
NC2 Fairlane Ghia

You can use the auto loom with a bit of modification. You just need the part that has the rectangle connector on the side that connects to the rest of the loom. And you just crimp female spade terminals on the other side and your set. It has the reverse lights, neutral switch and speed sensor in the one connector. That's what I did and it cost me $0.

I used a EA box in my 94 NC and the slip joint on the tailshaft was the same. If you have a four speed auto you should be fine. It's the 3 speed autos that are different.

I used my auto cross member and it was fine. But auto and manual ones should be the same as long as its out of the right model.

I used a tapered down socket on the end of an exension to align the clutch.
NC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Steve
You can use the auto loom with a bit of modification.
I used a EA box in my 94 NC and the slip joint on the tailshaft was the same. If you have a four speed auto you should be fine. It's the 3 speed autos that are different.
i would have thought the slip yoke would be the same anyway i put an EA T5 in my XE and tail shaft still fitted properly and i thought 3 speed EA box was the same as XF??

if you don't mind post again when you've got it working as i'm thinking of going the same conversion, i would have thought with all you've got there would be no probs. i'm yet to work with a OHC motor though.
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
5.0 ED Wagon

Just did this conversion the other day with my ED V8. Like what NC Steve said, use the black rectangular plug and bridge 2 of the terminals for the neutral start and plug the other 2 wires into your reverse light switch. Gearbox xmember is the same. Splines on the imput shaft and the tailshaft yoke are the same. Use the same bolts from the flexplate to bolt on the flywheel. Dont forget to buy a spigot bearing too. When you align the clutch, just buy a plastic dummy from a clutch place - easy peasy. Hardest thing for me to buy was the pedal box. Ended up finding a new one that came with the gearbox that I bought.
Old 12-18-2004, 23:25   #6 (permalink)
NC2 Fairlane Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Use the same bolts from the flexplate to bolt on the flywheel.
Flywheel bolts are a little longer than flexplate bolts. That's because the flywheel is thicker than a flexplate.
Old 12-18-2004, 23:45   #7 (permalink)
NC2 Fairlane Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx
i would have thought the slip yoke would be the same anyway i put an EA T5 in my XE and tail shaft still fitted properly and i thought 3 speed EA box was the same as XF??
I was told when I bought my T5 from the wreckers that I will need a 4 speed auto tailshaft if I don't already have one. I am using a EA T5 also.
Old 12-19-2004, 00:28   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I've got the pedal box in already, got the clutch pin welded before it went in.

So does anyone know the difference between the 3.9 and 4.0 clutch? Perhaps I've got a 4.0 clutch here, the guy I got the box off put an EL box in to replace this one (2nd is almost gone), so maybe he reused the 3.9 clutch as the 4.0 clutch didn't fit the 3.9 flywheel?

I'll call around a few wreckers about the loom, if not I'll attack the workshop manual and make up a loom.

I'll also grab an EB 4 speed yoke and see if it fits in, if it doesn't I need it to keep the ATF in when I change the tranny.

Where can I get some flywheel bolts? Or does anyone have the specs on them and I'll just rip down to Bunnings.

deankdx, I'll post when I've got it in, but that might be a little way off. Christmas has run me broke so the parts I still need I'll have to pick up in the new year, including a new 2nd gear set, as well as finding some time at work to replace it.
Old 12-19-2004, 00:59   #9 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho chicken
(2nd is almost gone), Where can I get some flywheel bolts? Or does anyone have the specs on them and I'll just rip down to Bunnings.

deankdx, I'll post when I've got it in, but that might be a little way off. including a new 2nd gear set, as well as finding some time at work to replace it.
i'd try ford for the bolts, bunnings wont have them, they are fine thread and would want to be the correct tensile or you will sheer them off.

is second gear synchro gone or the gear itself, synchro you can live with when its worn geear trouble would want being fixed before you put it in. no rush for me doing this job soon so take you're time, my ute gets rego next wednesday. shift kit thing i fitted is fun chirps 50kmh half throttle 1st to 2nd but i'll miss the manual before long i reckon

clutch wise i would guess they would be the same but as i mentioned erlier i don't know E series well Yet
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:05   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I was told it's the gear, apparently 2nd is the first to go. I'll rip it apart this week and have a look. I've got a press and everything at work so it's a cakewalk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline

« Cooky LSD | 5 speed »