Ford Forums banner

Final drive ratio on EFII Fairmont Ghia

4K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Paul 
#1 ·
Hello,

I know a couple of you have this model and was wondering what the final drive ratio is on the Tickford 6cyl and V8 powered EFII Ghias?

I am assuming that they are the same as for the EL?
6cyl - 3.45:1
V8 - 3.23:1

I have the original sales brochure but I must have lost that little spec sheet that is meant to come with it.

Thanks,
Mark.

#2 ·
Only way to be sure is to crawl under the car and check the metal Tag thats rivetted onto the Diff housing. It should be near the filler plug.
But It should have 3.45:1

G
#5 ·
HeHeHe
I've got EFII XR8 ex chaser, Im think its got 3.45 in the diff.
One rough & ready way to check the ratio is to sit on 120km/hr and leave it in 3rd in auto or 4th in manual, as long as you have 1.00 final gearbox ratio. the revs that show at that speed correspond to your diff ratio. Mine shows 3450 (3500)!
see how ya go

Perko

G
#7 ·
Peter
I believe you mean 3.23 ratio as supplied by Borg Warner rather than 3.25 Ford nine inch.
My EFII XR8 was an ex police with several options tacked onto it such as dual airbags, heavy duty cooling, police pack wiring etc. I have a list of factory options as supplied by Jubilee Ford for this car. But I havent id the diff yet. Does anyone know where else I can look.
I'm also looking for info on immobilizers or extra security.
I only found you guys yesterday. What a happy day!

Perko

#8 ·
PERKO,

No, 3.25:1 ratio is the standard Borg Warner Ford/Holden diff ratio. This ratio was used on the Ford Falcon EB S back in '92 and they were also used in the VK Commodore six cylinder executive, as this motor lost performance over the VC due to pollution rules.

Also with every increase in diff ratio, say from 3.08 to 3.25:1, equals a 5% mechanical advantage across all gears.

Regards,

Peter.

#10 ·
Martin is correct here, but Ford persisted in changing the final drive ratio in just about every model after the EB. And that's where it gets confusing. For example, an EF XR8 manual is 3.23:1 but the auto is 3.45? All XR6s were 3.45. My mate's ED Futura is 3.08 but my EB GLi is 3.27, and EF base models got 3.23. Make up your mind Ford!

Now might be the time to laugh at EA drivers with the three speed box who got a 2.77 ratio, but they were the most darned reliable trannys around (apart from the C4 and top loader ofcourse). Heard of many taxi drivers switching back to the three speed with 2.77 final drive... and u still see them shutting down rice bois :)

#11 ·
The Taxi drivers may have also changed to the 3speed and the 2.77 ratio due being able to get better fuel economy in the city.

#12 ·
Well, I bought a diff ratio for a '84 XE Fairmont Ghia, EFI auto, with a original 2.77:1 limited slip, final ratio diff as standard. Christ, this was the ratio that my old XC 5.8 GXL had and it was to big for that car too.

So I went to every diff expert in Sydney to get the right advice on the correct diff replace ratio and they all said that the Ford diffs were 2.77, 2.91, 3.08 and 3.25:1.

I fitted a 3.25:1 ratio and it can out of a EB Falcon S pack.

However you maybe right when I come to think about it that the XR 6's had the 3.45:1 ratio back in the EB's.

Regards,

Peter.

G
#13 ·
I had an XC Coupe 5.8, FMX and 2.75 gears which I swapped for 3.5's.It improved the launch off the lights. But back then I didnt live half hour up the F3. I suspect that my EF XR8 auto has 3.45's but I wont change it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.