Ford Forums banner

Floppy shifter

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  siwren 
#1 ·
The shifter in my XB is quite crap with not much feel. I gather this is from being 29 years old, but i'd prefer better.
Would a new old style shifter be better? Or is it the linkages?

Other than that, aftermarket shifters from B&M would be cool. I understand that they use cables to shift. Is this right?
I wouldn't mind a quicksilver shifter, can I get this to sit flush in the console so it looks almost factory? How much would this sifter cost and wheres the best place to get one?

Thanks for any input.

Simon

#2 ·
I assume this is an auto shifter with the talk of aftermarket cable shifter..
If so you will find the 2 little nylon bushes in your factory T-bar are basically disintegrated/gone..New bushes are available from ford since they are the same as current model fords for a couple dollars and will make the shifter like new again..

#6 ·
I have a gregorys auto manual at home, is that what you would use to check? If so don't worry yourself, I'll check myself. If not, yes please.

With aftermarket ones, like B&M, can I get them to be flush with the console? I would like to have it look 'factory' or close enough. Though I'll only do the change over once I get the auto shift kitted and new stall converter (money prevailing)

Simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.