FMX Vs C10 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2004, 01:05   #1 (permalink)
speedkills so snort Slowr

FMX Vs C10

Im very stuck..

I have a 351 clevo
I have an FMX box currently (out of the car) which i want to rebuild.

People have told me that i should go to a c10 cause its cheaper to rebuild and is also lighter than the fmx
(while i dont care whether it is lighter or not I'm more concerned about rebuilding a box)

Should i sell the FMX and buy a C10.. or should i rebuild the fmx??

Anybody know of decent tranny places in the SE suburbs (melb)

CHEERS
http://www.freewebs.com/tzenu
crzyxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2004, 01:14   #2 (permalink)
ignorance is bliss

Re: FMX Vs C10

General opinion is C1o is probably the better option. Having run a well built C10 for a fair while can recommend one of these no problem, also aftermarket shifter options are probably better, not too many about to suit FMX
clevokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 13:04   #3 (permalink)

FMX will always be tuffer no matter what you do to a c box!
I have it already use it.
northiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 19:14   #4 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

If you aint got a c10 there. Don't bother. The box's cost about the same to build. My supposed 550-600hp build cost $1150 and it lasted a whole 199k's. Rebuilt under warranty, it's in the car now, just got it running again but I don't know how long it'll last.

I am on C10 number 5 in three years.

Brenden
Old 07-09-2004, 23:25   #5 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Wholesale AUTOMATICS in Bayswater re engineer a good C10 package.
I posted a thread a while ago enquiring about a suitable 4 speed box and got some good feedback from FF members that I talked to these guys about.

They have very good things to say about the C10 and can build a bulletproof unit for @ $1900 Change over.

How do I know it's bulletproof...............................................................
Cos we stuck one behind my brothers "real" 500+ HP Clevo and the box absolutely shines. No leaks, great shift quality and has helped push the car into the low 12's with street tyres. ( Wheels spinning half the way )

You want quality, you have to pay.
I don't know of any $2000 motors doing 10 second passes.
A cheap rebuild will cost three or four times the cost and an increased blood pressure reading.

Click HERE if you would like to contact them for a chat.
They're expensive but they know what they're talking about and won't dick you around telling you porkie pies. ( In our experience anyway )
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 18:16   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Wholesale AUTOMATICS in Bayswater re engineer a good C10 package.
I posted a thread a while ago enquiring about a suitable 4 speed box and got some good feedback from FF members that I talked to these guys about.

They have very good things to say about the C10 and can build a bulletproof unit for @ $1900 Change over.

How do I know it's bulletproof...............................................................
Cos we stuck one behind my brothers "real" 500+ HP Clevo and the box absolutely shines. No leaks, great shift quality and has helped push the car into the low 12's with street tyres. ( Wheels spinning half the way )

You want quality, you have to pay.
I don't know of any $2000 motors doing 10 second passes.
A cheap rebuild will cost three or four times the cost and an increased blood pressure reading.

Click HERE if you would like to contact them for a chat.
They're expensive but they know what they're talking about and won't dick you around telling you porkie pies. ( In our experience anyway )
How long the box been in the car? The possible reason it's lasted is because of wheelspin. The engines not loading the box up. Put a set of slicks on and see how is goes. What rpm histall? If it's below 3500rpm? It'll last as it's not generating much heat. If a holden owner can run around with a 5500rpm histall I should be able to aswell.

I run street tyres for r/w purposes only. Wheelspin is dangerous. I am 100% sure I can blow one of their boxes I'll give them a go when this one pops

Quality is nothing to do with $. You just need a knowlegable builder. $ = paying for the name nothing else. Gregaust (FF user) seems to know what he's on about with autos. He's a wealth of info.

To give you an idea. My front clutch pack has 6 clutches (4 is standard), solid band (stock band is flexable as hell), billet servo outer housing with a stronger spring (as the stock outer housing will bend under pressure), transgo full manual valve body.

I personally think the B&M VB (valve body) gives a nicer shift than the transgo.

Brenden
Old 07-10-2004, 19:27   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

I read an article in a Ford mag a few years ago comparing the FMX to the C10 and the conclusion was the C10 was a better box that could handle more power and was lighter. The FMX is an old box with a heavy cast iron case where the c10 has an aluminium case, but I guess having a good auto rebuilder determines how good it will be in the long run.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:53   #8 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
How long the box been in the car? The possible reason it's lasted is because of wheelspin. The engines not loading the box up. Put a set of slicks on and see how is goes. What rpm histall? If it's below 3500rpm? It'll last as it's not generating much heat. If a holden owner can run around with a 5500rpm histall I should be able to aswell.

I run street tyres for r/w purposes only. Wheelspin is dangerous. I am 100% sure I can blow one of their boxes I'll give them a go when this one pops

Quality is nothing to do with $. You just need a knowlegable builder. $ = paying for the name nothing else. Gregaust (FF user) seems to know what he's on about with autos. He's a wealth of info.

To give you an idea. My front clutch pack has 6 clutches (4 is standard), solid band (stock band is flexable as hell), billet servo outer housing with a stronger spring (as the stock outer housing will bend under pressure), transgo full manual valve body.

I personally think the B&M VB (valve body) gives a nicer shift than the transgo.

Brenden

Box has been in the car for @ 12 months. This car is driven like it's stolen.
Probably done 3000 abused street kays ( = 10,000 normal kays )
4500 stall , 4.11 rear end and has repeatedly shown over 500Nm torque on the dyno ( rear wheel ) and 270 Rear wheel killowatts. The potential is for @300 RWK when the Demon Carb has been adjusted and set properly. ( It's been difficult to find a guru to tune these things )

From memory their extreme box has a Lifetime warranty so even if you do manage to destroy it, they'll replace it so you can't really go wrong.

You are right about quality not always costing, but the money we paid for this box went in to all the blueprinting process and 3 days labour to put it together. Heaps of time spent on wet blocking components so that they are completely flat , 6 pin heavy duty steel planetaries with needle roller bearings , heaps of time spent on the valve body to get the shift points and shift feel right in every gear, not just the typical 1st - 2nd tough shift and then the crappy 2-3rd shift.
I think you'll find that there is no greater punishment for your box than wheel spinning at 4-5000 RPM and then getting hook up. ( tends to bend things real quick, including axles )

Anyway, like you said, time will tell and I'll post you if we break it...

Who built your box ???
What's actually going wrong with it ????
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 17:39   #9 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Sounds good to me. Longest box I've had in there lasted 3700k's (street duty inc racing).

Mine keeps destroying the front clutch pack and twisting the input shaft. I've now got a billet input shaft which has been replaced as I twisted that in the 199k box. I've had a variety of failures. Such as a circlip popping off under load destroying the box, top band failure (wasn't solid) and twisted input shafts (one twisted about 3mm). The main one is front clutch pack failure.

It sounds definately well worth trying autowholesale if this box blows. I am sick to death of paying big $ for crap autos. I worked out I've spent over $5000 so far.

Brenden
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline