FX Clutch Cable Snapping - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2003, 03:22   #1 (permalink)

FX Clutch Cable Snapping

Hey all,

Ive done a conversion on my XF falc from auto to singlerail xmit. Ive been running this for about 3 years but during this time Ive been through 6 (SIX!!!) clutch cables.

I think the problem is attributed to extractors giving out too much heat causing the internal cable to snap.

Clutch is a little heavy but not the worst ive felt. Its a standard duty clutch and pressure plate but before I drop this whole setup into the new XF, I want to sort this problem out. Ive changed the throwout bearing, spriggot bearing and clutch/pressure plates to no avail.

If anyone knows whats the deal, drop me a msg. Thankz
coupefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2003, 05:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: FX Clutch Cable Snapping

Have you routed the cable correctly? XF's will eat cables if you run them through the crossmember incorrecly, as they get a kink in them. May also need to be adjusted correctly.
Old 02-19-2004, 19:37   #3 (permalink)

Its a gearbox out of an XD and the clutch cable doesnt actually cross under the cross member. It goes into the bell housing on the same side as the clutch cable comes out of the firewall. My other XF has the cable that goes through the crossmember however the one Im having trouble with is on the extractor side.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:15   #4 (permalink)

I hope it didn't take you that long to check out! Yes, it is possibly heat, or adjustment. How high off the floor does the clutch engage?
Old 02-22-2004, 07:01   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, Sorry. I kinda forgot about this post but Im actually thinking of using this box to replace a supposed to be 5 speed box in my other XF.

The clutch starts to engage at about 80mm from the floor. It doesnt have any problems with grip as it lights 245X60 quite well without slipping. Not bad for a 250 Xflow.

I was thinking about getting a bit of sheet steel cut to size and shape of extractors and attach it somehow to act as a heat sheild. Ive done some testing with heat reflective wrap stuck on the cable that looks like foil with a sticky back. I cant do any further testing though as the car isnt street legal.
Old 02-22-2004, 14:42   #6 (permalink)

Try adjusting the clutch down if you can. You want it to fully dis-engage on the floor, and be fully engaged about 25-40mm off the floor. Use extracter wrap to protect the cable.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:05   #7 (permalink)

Yeah but its pretty expensive stuff that extractor wrap. But if it works ill save money in the long run. Thanks heaps for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline