Ford Forums banner

Gear Box in EA

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Peuty 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Been a while since I posted in here but I'm stuck :(

I recently had my rear seal in my gear box fixed & it needed a bush?? on the end of the tailshaft as well ........... the mechanic(term used lightly) 'fixed it' and I was sent home with everything going 'OK now luv, shes running really well' ......

I soon realised that all was not well as she refused to change up gears when it was cold & more often than not I had to change manually (yes shes a 3sp auto).

I took it back last week & he told me that it was the kickdown cable ..... its a bit streached but when he test drove her she went well & all was fixed but i may need another kickdown cable soon.

I know the kickdown cable was fine just under 12months ago when I had this box put in. The car has no probs kicking down ...... its going up gears especially when cold......

Does it sound like a kickdown cable to you guys ??????????

I know this mechanic(term used lightly) isnt very good although he did fix the surging problem I had !!!!!!!

Any suggestions ???????

:fairy

See less See more
#4 ·
When I had a 3 speed I had a problem with the kickdown cable making the transmission shift at 3500 rpm instead of 4500 or whatever, but it was not affected by temperature and the issue was not a bother at all.

I suppose the fluid level is all good?

#5 ·
Mike Gayner ..... I have no problems with mechanics in general, its when you go to them as a gal & they think they can call you luv & tell you everythings ok & you know there not....... I have taken the car back to him twice & still no fix...... I told him it happens when shes cold & to let her cool right down eg give it a few hours as he had the car for the whole day. He also told me to alleviate the problem to change manually ........ IF I had a manual car I would drive it like one ..... I have an auto & as much as I hate autos I assume you should be able to drive it as such.....

NZ that would be great matey ....... would appreciate it heaps ....

Troutman ...... I have just been to the dump here 3 times & its not cold here today nor is the car .....everytime its needed a manual change ....... normally has been changing at about 2500rpm but now goes over 3 & still refuses to change into 2nd :( ........

This is really peeing me off

:fairy

#6 ·
Mike Gayner said:
Well if you know so much about being a good mechanic maybe you should fix it yourself....

Hoenstly I'm sick of people giving mechanics shit on this board. If he drove it and didnt find a problem how the hell is he supposed to fix it?
Jeez mate, she was just asking for advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.