Gear box oil leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2002, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Gear box oil leak

Need help guys,

How hard is it to repair gear box oil leak around shifter???????

Just tried to get rego on the 85 XF wagon & they knocked me back on this.....

Would have got them to do it but lack of funds makes me have to attempt myself

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2002, 01:24   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Try cleaning with some engine degreaser and spray with garden hose.
You sure its leaking around shifter? The speedo sender has been known to leak around that area..Cleaning should be enough though..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 03:33   #3 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Thanks ebxr8240, was going to do that, the clean, when I asked them bout location of leak they basically made out as though because I'm a woman I wouldnt know what they were talking about.....maybe I dont know a lot but if they showed me where it was I'm smart enough to figure out the rest.....

So now I've got to find some ramps & have a look myself. The only explanation they gave me was that it was around the shifter....Bugger them already writing out the pink slip because once this is done its the last time I'll go there

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 06:15   #4 (permalink)

I also think it would not be an oil leak around the shifter - on a single rail the shifter sits in grease not oil.

Another place to look for the leak is the rocker cover gasket, it can come loose and blow oil down on top of the gearbox.

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 05-15-2002, 05:28   #5 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

XF Gal, I'm presuming your wagon has a single rail, not a later 5 speed??
If so, there is the possibility of oil leaking from a small seal fitted in behind where the aluminium extension housing bolts to the back of the box..
Also, if the aluminium shifter housing is worn, the afore-mentioned grease does tend to leak out through a similar seal. These leaks normally find their way along the shifter rail and then drip down onto the gearbox.........
Help is at hand and it's not too expensive!!!
You should still be able to buy a gearbox service kit from Ford Spares, and the part number begins with 'XB' from memory..
I still have the bag here from my kit somewhere, I'll find the number for you if you have trouble.
You don't really have to remove the gearbox to replace these bits, especially if you have a hoist, but you will have to drain the oil for when you pull the extension housing off..
If it's only the shifter housing that's bleeding, then it's not even necessary to drop the oil!!! You should be able to get the shifter housing out with a little bit of fiddling around.. Drop the rear crossmember and support it all on a stand.
Be careful not to go too far incase you damage the engine mounts, or touch the radiator with the fan..
The other normal leaks on these rockets are the speedo sender, and the rear seal at the back of the extension housing where the tailshaft fits in.
If the front main gearbox seal (or the rear main engine seal) is dying, your clutch won't be far behind it....
I had to do the same job on my old XD as it had the same problems, I'm sure the kit was only about $20..
Just make sure you get the two seals I was talking about with it, otherwise you won't be a happy gal!!!
If you need any more info, please ask!!!

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline