Gear driven v Chain Driven - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2003, 20:44   #1 (permalink)

Gear driven v Chain Driven

Hey ppls, just had a thought of a gear drive in my clevo, was just wondering what the performance and durability difference between the two are???

just havent seen a discussion bout this yet...

Cheers boyz
Pinkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2003, 23:15   #2 (permalink)
Catching Bugs

they make a hell of a mess when a tooth snaps off:)
xbwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 23:44   #3 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Gears are stronger, make more noise, and are more expensive.
Chains are quieter, cheaper, and strong enough for most applications.

Gears do give more accurate valve timing, but some also say they are harder on the valve train. In a street engine I'd have to agree.

I'd use a chain.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 01:57   #4 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

ive also heard the gear drives push the intermediate gears into the side plates and fail. im going a chain.

about strengh, a 700hp at the wheels NA windsor at summernats used a belt!
Old 06-17-2003, 03:26   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

from what I know a good chain ( I prefer Ford Motorsport ones as my experience shows they tend to stretch less) will work just fine. The accuracy you may or may not gain from gear drive will be offset by the noise if nothing else. I have also heard they can make cams more likely to break because of harmonics but thats just anecdotal.. never seen it happen my self.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:39   #6 (permalink)
More horsepower required

Quote:
Originally posted by xa-coupe
I have also heard they can make cams more likely to break because of harmonics but thats just anecdotal.. never seen it happen my self.

I can confirm this . I don't know about the harmonics , but coming home from the pub around 12 years ago , my solid cam ( Crow ) snapped in half at 7000rpm . The only redeemable features of my beloved cleveland were the intake manifold , carby , heads and sump .
Admittedly , this thing was revved to 7000 rpm for almost 3 years every day of its life . It ran a set of Pete Jackson straight cuts .
A good double row timing chain is just as good , and won't piss the neighbours off either.
Fordhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 04:11   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fordhead
Admittedly , this thing was revved to 7000 rpm for almost 3 years every day of its life
hrmm... I sense a connection
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:43   #8 (permalink)
More horsepower required

Yer , I reckon you're right with the connection , BUT , we never knew what actually caused the cam to snap . The motor just stopped dead at high revs , It snapped valves ( due to cam , but not the cause ) smashed the oil pump , and bent 3 rods ( I sheared completely in half and went through the side of the bore wall . Funny thing is , the crank had a huge gouge on the counterbalance ( I think due to the floating oilpump ) .
My thoughts were the oil pump snapped and got caught , causing the thing to come to a grinding halt . Still don't know to this day .
What a bummer . $8000 down the drain
Old 06-22-2003, 04:22   #9 (permalink)
Getting bigger

Re: Gear driven v Chain Driven

dual idler gear drives are crap, but dont stretch or generally break. they do transfer harmonics from the crank, then double them for the cam, and cause top end flutters. a proper gear drive is a single idler, not a cheapo pete jackson! a single idler isolates the crank from the cam.we ran dual idlers on a 600hp alloy headed clevo, and they left light marks on the timing cover over a few years, but not enough to worry about, bigger problem is the water pump threads, which we drilled out, and welded nuts to.the gear drive and timing cover has been used in a lot of our engines, to no improvement, in the end we just use a rollmaster adjustable
Old 06-25-2003, 01:22   #10 (permalink)
EFI 351c TD CORTINA

Re: Gear driven v Chain Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordhead
I can confirm this . I don't know about the harmonics , but coming home from the pub around 12 years ago , my solid cam ( Crow ) snapped in half at 7000rpm . The only redeemable features of my beloved cleveland were the intake manifold , carby , heads and sump .
Admittedly , this thing was revved to 7000 rpm for almost 3 years every day of its life . It ran a set of Pete Jackson straight cuts .
A good double row timing chain is just as good , and won't piss the neighbours off either.
running it to 7000 for so long, did u notice oil pressure go down? what bearing were u using in the block? i can see my clevo seeing 7000 in the future.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline