Ford Forums banner

Gear Drives question

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Phantom XR8 
#1 ·
The gear drives I've got in my car have to be taken out but found out that they were made to be silent. Does anyone know of some gear drives that make the scream noise for an EB XR8? Thanks.

#3 ·
just lower the oil level in your power steering system until the pump is noisy at idle, then you have a free and noisy gear drive. What the F&^% do you want that for? As a wank? next you'll want the clear taillights!!! iTS A NICE CAR KEEP IT THAT WAY!

#5 ·
gear drives will drive you beserk after the novelty wears off. Imagine that mechanical noise for a coouple of hours straight...ugh!!

They allow for precise gear timing but I also have heard *stories* that they also can cause harmonics through the cam shaft and result in a broken cam .. but I emphasise..It's only stories and I have no idea if it's true.

Persoanlly I would spend the bucks on something that made it go faster

#7 ·
xa-coupe said:
gear drives will drive you beserk after the novelty wears off. Imagine that mechanical noise for a coouple of hours straight...ugh!!

They allow for precise gear timing but I also have heard *stories* that they also can cause harmonics through the cam shaft and result in a broken cam .. but I emphasise..It's only stories and I have no idea if it's true.

Persoanlly I would spend the bucks on something that made it go faster

So then what can I do to get it faster?, I can't afford to do things like supercharge it.

#10 ·
i dont know if xr8`s have knock sensors, but the noise and harmonics from timing gears will usually be detected by the knock sensor and retard the timing. = less horsepower because the ecm thinks the engine is pinging all the time. dont know about eec-v management but i know the delco management system can be adjusted to compensate for r/rockers, solid camshafts and timing gears.

#11 ·
SpeedDemon,

Gear drives will not make your car go faster or give any more power. A good quality double row timing chain is all you need. My new double row rollmaster chain has less movement than my friends gear drive, and the noise drives him crazy when cruising.

As for making your car faster, the standard approach to 5.0L EFI Winsors is 1) exhaust, extractors and air filter 2) roller rockers and cam 3) heads, intake, TB and MAF. It all depends on how much power you want or how much money you have.

#12 ·
EDXR8 said:
SpeedDemon,

Gear drives will not make your car go faster or give any more power. A good quality double row timing chain is all you need. My new double row rollmaster chain has less movement than my friends gear drive, and the noise drives him crazy when cruising.

As for making your car faster, the standard approach to 5.0L EFI Winsors is 1) exhaust, extractors and air filter 2) roller rockers and cam 3) heads, intake, TB and MAF. It all depends on how much power you want or how much money you have.
I know they don't make my car go faster. And roughly how much would that cost if I were to do all that?

#13 ·
Rough prices: Extractors $400-$700, exhaust $400-$1500, roller rockers $500, cam $600, heads $1000-$3000, intake $1000, TB $400, MAF $500, injectors $700.

I would say exhaust and extractors are a must, and then it is up to the bank balance. Another good bang for bucks mod (about $1000) is to upgrade the diff ratio (3.73 for a manual or 3.9 for autos).

#14 ·
Na just turbo the thing !!!! Haha

#15 ·
EDXR8 said:
Rough prices: Extractors $400-$700, exhaust $400-$1500, roller rockers $500, cam $600, heads $1000-$3000, intake $1000, TB $400, MAF $500, injectors $700.

I would say exhaust and extractors are a must, and then it is up to the bank balance. Another good bang for bucks mod (about $1000) is to upgrade the diff ratio (3.73 for a manual or 3.9 for autos).
Well I've already got an exhaust system on it but I'll look into the other stuff, thanks for your help :eek:)

#16 ·
If you look at www.edelbrock.com , they have lots of stuff for V8 Windsors. The Performer and Performer RPM Manifolds seem like good gear, as well as the RPM heads and 70mm Throttle body

#18 ·
Yes the Edel. RPM is good..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.