Ford Forums banner

gearbox

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mutlley 
#1 ·
what manual gearbox do they put behind the xr8 falcons? is it the t-5? If so, are all t-5's the same? can i put one behind a cleveland?

#2 ·
Right up to the AU it was a T5 in the XR8. You can put one behind a Cleveland with the right bellhousing from Dellow or Mal Wood. There are quite a few variations on the T5 (ratio and strength wise) but I am informed that you can even slot a 6 cyl T5 behind a Cleveland so long as it isnt a fire-breather and / or you are not partial to doing burnouts and dropped-clutch launches. They had a T5 behind the Summernats Horsepower Hero's donk that put out 1300 odd hp. The statement was that it was a bit twisted but didnt break.

Pat.

#3 ·
Yeah, its true that the T-5 was used in the Eddy Tassone's commodore, but you also have to take into consideration that it survived by being run in fourth gear - direct drive fron the input to the output shaft, with no gear sets involved. "It didn't let go, but everything was twisted big-time inside".

Personally I think with a decent cleveland and driving it the way you should, you can't go past the toploader.

#5 ·
well it seems the way to go is to get a t-5 from a v8 falcon (apparently different from the 6's). The bellhousing pattern is the same and fits pretty easily but does $2000 for the box seem a little steep to anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.