Ford Forums banner

Gearbox Fitting - STUCK?!

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TruBlu351 
#1 ·
Just spent the last 4 miserable hours trying to fit the tremec up into the bellhousing - they weigh a freakin ton and it makes my toploader look like a toy!

I've got it mounted thru the release bearing but have about 2-2.5cm before the box and bellhousing meet flush.

My dodgy Kincrome clutch alignment tool kit didn't do a bad job.

Not sure if its a "matching up the spline" problem or getting the input shaft into the spigot bearing issue? The back of the box can still move side to side a fair bit making me think its still not in the clutch disc spline.

Is it a bad idea to get 4 long bolts to pull the box into the bellhousing (whilst keeping it square)?

Clutch plate - could someone please confirm it's the LONG part of the hub which sticks out, that should face towards the flywheel?

Thanks

#2 ·
There should be markings on the plate to say which side goes to the flywheel. Afaik the flattest side should be to the flywheel and the hub side to the gearbox, otherwise the hub will mince the flywheel bolts. I had to fiddle for ages to get my T5 to go into position, but once it did, it slid straight it. That was only on a 6cyl though, don't know how different the V8's are though.

#3 ·
nothing wrong with using longer bolts to pull it in as long as u know your not damaging anything

#5 ·
i had the same problem putting my T5 in my XF....twice!! it was in but sat a few cm's out from the bellhousing. i got my old man to help me by supporting the back of the box while i twisted and moved the front and she slid straight it. hope this helps you a little.

#6 ·
Thanks for your replies guys.

Gave it a miss last night and decided to give it another go tonight! As you would expect, within 5 minutes she slipped straight in (after the magic jiggle)! What a bastard and a big sigh of relief - the rest is easy. I bought some long bolts to help align the box which was the key to an EASY fit - as you know, if you're just off 2mm the input shaft won't go into the spigot bearing.

WBT56 - I've fitted a TKO (normal tremec with 26 spline input shaft, 31 spline output and beefed up here and there). Biggest thing I'm looking forward to is a 0.68 overdrive with the 4.11's ahhhh. I bought it in the US 2 years ago for US$1350 (including yoke & shifter), bit cheaper than the $4000 people are looking for here!

I bought a Dellow's Automotive custom alloy bellhousing to suit the tremec $450. My hydraulic clutch still fits - the square hole around the clutch fork is smaller so the rubber boot is all squashed up. I checked the bellhousing with a dial gauge. Runout was 0.003" on the concentricity and 0.004" on the parallel face measurement to the block. Centreforce says that the parallel face limit is 0.002, McLeod says 0.005, any advice on this? I'll ask Dellows and Mal Wood tomorrow.

The tremec is a BIG gearbox. JUST fits on the last cross-member bracket holes. Top of box hits the top transmission tunnel - angle grinder job tomorrow.

I also got a Pro 5.0 shifter - real nice solid billet short throw model which will feel like its teflon coated compared to the CLUNKY toploader.

Thanks once again.

#7 ·
Out of parrallel should be too small to measure. Must be done in a lathe or on a machine bed to be accurate. Box should not hit tunnel, except maybe about the big shifter. 4.11 is probably a bit low for a 3.27 first unless she really loves to rev. Ben.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.