Originally Posted by Dirty Epic
Can any one give a diagnosis on my problem.
1. Hard/Impossible to get into gears when driving
2. No use of clutch, as it hits the floor and nothing happens
3. Clutch pedal is sitting close to floor, about an inch lower than the brake (where as it used to be equal)
4. Hard to get into gears when stopped/engine off
5. When in low gear car starts in gear as if clutch pedal was not depressed (even when it is)
6. Impossible to get into reverse anytime.
7. When driving, it is possible to get into some gears but not others, but changes.
Basically i was in my car and i started not being able to use the gears, drove to a freinds place in 2nd, had a look to see what i could, then next day drove home. (it was fun driving to town traffic lights with no clutch and unable to change gears) I found stopping turning off the car, putting it in 1st or 2nd and starting in gear worked, but it did drain the battery.
Any pointers would be much appreciated
Don't spend any money without doing the following:
1. Open the bonnect and locate where your clutch cable goes through the firewall (rear wall, its to the left of the engine).
2. Using a shifting spanner tighten the clutch cable nut at least 3-4 turns (clockwise).
3. Get in your car and whilst sitting see if it is easier to change gears, take it for a spin around the block, you will probably notice that gears changing and other problems have become much better now, if still a little tough then tighten the clutch cable a little more... if the clutch starts slipping you have tightened a little too much.
The clutch cable has a tendancy to loosen up a bit, you really should have 2 nuts there at the firewall and also have the firewall reinforced at some stage if you have noticed any cracking/flexing.