gears/clutch drama - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2004, 22:52   #1 (permalink)
Homeless Tree

frown gears/clutch drama

Can any one give a diagnosis on my problem.

1. Hard/Impossible to get into gears when driving
2. No use of clutch, as it hits the floor and nothing happens
3. Clutch pedal is sitting close to floor, about an inch lower than the brake (where as it used to be equal)
4. Hard to get into gears when stopped/engine off
5. When in low gear car starts in gear as if clutch pedal was not depressed (even when it is)
6. Impossible to get into reverse anytime.
7. When driving, it is possible to get into some gears but not others, but changes.

Basically i was in my car and i started not being able to use the gears, drove to a freinds place in 2nd, had a look to see what i could, then next day drove home. (it was fun driving to town traffic lights with no clutch and unable to change gears) I found stopping turning off the car, putting it in 1st or 2nd and starting in gear worked, but it did drain the battery.

Any pointers would be much appreciated
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2004, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
Green's Tuff!

Re: gears/clutch drama

Could be a few things...

Broken/stretched Clutch Cable.
Buggered Clutch
Buggered Clutch master/slave cylinder. (don't know if it has a cable or is hydraulic)
Collapsed Thrust Bearing
Broken Clutch Fork

Best to take it to a mechanic and get him to have a look at it.

Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:39   #3 (permalink)

firewall weak and cracked?
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:58   #4 (permalink)
cArSiK

sounds like cable time to me.....

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:10   #5 (permalink)
spin 'em up

complete overhall
fordboy-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:25   #6 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Epic
Can any one give a diagnosis on my problem.

1. Hard/Impossible to get into gears when driving
2. No use of clutch, as it hits the floor and nothing happens
3. Clutch pedal is sitting close to floor, about an inch lower than the brake (where as it used to be equal)
4. Hard to get into gears when stopped/engine off
5. When in low gear car starts in gear as if clutch pedal was not depressed (even when it is)
6. Impossible to get into reverse anytime.
7. When driving, it is possible to get into some gears but not others, but changes.

Basically i was in my car and i started not being able to use the gears, drove to a freinds place in 2nd, had a look to see what i could, then next day drove home. (it was fun driving to town traffic lights with no clutch and unable to change gears) I found stopping turning off the car, putting it in 1st or 2nd and starting in gear worked, but it did drain the battery.

Any pointers would be much appreciated
Don't spend any money without doing the following:

1. Open the bonnect and locate where your clutch cable goes through the firewall (rear wall, its to the left of the engine).
2. Using a shifting spanner tighten the clutch cable nut at least 3-4 turns (clockwise).
3. Get in your car and whilst sitting see if it is easier to change gears, take it for a spin around the block, you will probably notice that gears changing and other problems have become much better now, if still a little tough then tighten the clutch cable a little more... if the clutch starts slipping you have tightened a little too much.

The clutch cable has a tendancy to loosen up a bit, you really should have 2 nuts there at the firewall and also have the firewall reinforced at some stage if you have noticed any cracking/flexing.
gmanEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 00:01   #7 (permalink)

My girlfriends brother is expiriencing the exact problems with his T5 in his ef xr6, and everytime i adjust the cable it all good for a few days but the problem re-occurs, so i would have to say that the clutch cable is continuing to stretch.......i almost have no adjustment left on the nut, gmanEA solution is perfectly right....but if the problem keeps re-occuring rapidly well its gotta be cable....im about to change the one and my girlfriends bro's car...ill let ya's know how it goes....
letsdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 00:05   #8 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdance
My girlfriends brother is expiriencing the exact problems with his T5 in his ef xr6, and everytime i adjust the cable it all good for a few days but the problem re-occurs, so i would have to say that the clutch cable is continuing to stretch.......i almost have no adjustment left on the nut, gmanEA solution is perfectly right....but if the problem keeps re-occuring rapidly well its gotta be cable....im about to change the one and my girlfriends bro's car...ill let ya's know how it goes....
Shouldn't need re-adjusting that often ! Have you got a locking nut there or the cable is just stretching a lot. Clutch cables usually stretch somewhat after new one is put in but shouldnt stretch a lot when old... I'd say by the sounds of it 'letsdance' that your girlfriend's brother's clutch cable will snap within the next few weeks.
Old 01-17-2004, 00:06   #9 (permalink)
Ford Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordboy-m
complete overhall
Was that your first input on fordforums ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline