Got Clutch fan converted!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2002, 21:05   #1 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Got Clutch fan converted!!!

WEll i got my ebII six clutch fan converted to the twin thermo fans off a EF. Everthing went sweet with the conversion beside one major thing. Well the day i brought the thermos i was looking at where to mout them allready had the screw holes and everthing so it was going to be a slide on fit. Ok but while inspecting the radiator what do i notice a leak from the seam of the plastic end caps. Down to the radiator bloke, i go is it fixable? sure is its the o ring buy the looks of things. Leave it here ill fix and come get it ok 30 mins later he rings back well yeah the orings stuffed but the core is rusted out i can fix it but not warrent the job or do u want a new one. I opted on seeing with my own eys and yes it was screwed so $250 later installed with new fluid i had a new one. So more money spent but i needed it whos going to be running a car with one.

Anyways next day i drop it of to the auto electrition and they hooked it up. With 2 relays and i have a selectable temp switch under the bonnet allowing me to select the tmeps to turn on teh fans. I think there set at 96 for the first fan and 98 for the second. One turns on with the aircon and then when gets hotter they both turn on. These guys did a great job and im happy with the setup. Its so much more quieter and its just seems to run smoother but thats only becuase the noise isnt there anymore.

Thought i would post this just to let you know its a fairly good mod and giving u guys some feed back on what they did.

Thnaks for reading

Steven Barrett

Next mod will definalty be exctractors as i allready have a s/12 inch mandrel system i need the extractors to make it better.

what mod should i go for after that guys
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2002, 21:10   #2 (permalink)

So what did it cost all up for the thermo fan conversion? (not including the new radiator)

As for your next mod I recommend a 5speed conversion if it isnt already, makes a hell of a difference performance wise.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 21:25   #3 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

WITHOUT NEW RADATOR

Without the new Radiator it cost $150 for thermos second hand out of a rolled over ef with low km's. And I let them install the fan wich cost me an extra 30 dollars becuase i didnt want to do it at home then drive it to them without the thermos connected becuase i dont want to cook it. I was happy with that 30 bucks to take of the clutch fan which they said was a prick coz it was so tight and to place on the new thermos. And it cost me $130 for parts and wiring and thermo reader ect ect.

So all up it was

____
$310

Then the xtra $250 coz my peice of shit radator was stuffed but im happy now i know i can have the peice of mind she will be cooled. I like my car running cool if u know what i mean. :)

Thanks Steve

Manual conversion
What is the full price and what entailed if anyone could please shed the light i have had searches on this but for my car ebII to get converted what sort of price am i looking at and power gains.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:45   #4 (permalink)

310 bucks is a good price for what you've ended up with, It would probably cost you at least that to purchase the Davie Craig twin fan setup and you don't get the shrouds with that kit. (I tried the twin thermo kit on my Xd and in the end i took them back off because i still couldn't keep it cool - it turns out now the shape of the blades is all important - so is the shroud)

The way they've wired them sounds good too.

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 03-12-2002, 02:54   #5 (permalink)
Chromed Member

what type of sensor did the auto elecs wire?

eg does it have 2 probes (long wiriey looking things) going into the radiator hose, or a sensor in the radiator with a contol box??

interested in how they have wired it up, how about some pics?
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 03:41   #6 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Smile botch

hey mate yeah ill borrow my mates digi cam and take a few of teh setup its a probe going into the radator entering athe the hose join down into the radator. Its seems to work very well and theres a control box next to the radiator.

When im there il take photos of my car also and some of teh exhaust if i can get under it well enough. Post them soon mate

Steve
Old 03-12-2002, 06:46   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Well done ebIISIXA - I've had an EF Thermofan unit in the shed for several months but hadn't got off my arse and fitted it. My big hassle was that I didn't like the Davies thermoswitch with the capilary tube into the radiator - but I guess there's no reason why it shouldn't work ok as yours obviously is.

I actually got ripped when I bought the EF fan unit - I paid $200 unseen from FordPower and the rotten thing is broken in the middle part of the housing - I'll need to find some sort of glue that works with the plastic (ABS?) or try a bit of plastic welding.

The wiring diagrams for various setups including the "one fan comes on with aircon and other comes on at set temp" are included with the Davies thermo-switch unit.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 14:22   #8 (permalink)
My name is Forrest....

Quote:
Originally posted by EDFUTURA
- I'll need to find some sort of glue that works with the plastic (ABS?) or try a bit of plastic welding.

Have a look on the unit you've got for a plastic recycling code should be something like <ABS> or <PP-TF> or <PA-GF> or similar , once you find it let me know, and I'll tell you what glue you can or cant use to fix
Matt
Old 03-12-2002, 15:16   #9 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

about my first post!!!

I was just reading what i posted and realised i must have been pissed when i typed that because there are that many spelling mistakes and words that shouldnt be there.

Oh well

Steve

One other thing is i keep checking to see if it leakes from the radator where they put the capillary but it hasnt the only trouble i had was from the hose connected to the thermostat housing the radiator blokes didnt tighten it enough silly pricks.

anyway pics will be coming soon
Old 03-12-2002, 16:12   #10 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Jesmol, thanks for that - but, urgghhh - I went out to the shed to check it and couldn't find it - so I asked my Mrs if she'd seen it and she looked at me with this odd expression and said "But you chucked a wobbly last time you cleaned out the shed and ranted and raved and flung it into the ute with the rest of the crap for the dump!!". I have absolutely no recollection of that at all!! - very scary :crazy1: (must have been a spur of the moment thing - bugger!).

The thermo switch actually comes with a sort of rubber sleeve with a slot in it for the capillary - the sleeve is put on the radiator neck with the tube resting in the slot then the hose is put back on - the result is a nice even seal for the hose even tho there's a "foreign object" stuck in there - so it should stay sealed fine.
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline