Grand Marquis Noise - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 18:52   #1 (permalink)

Grand Marquis Noise

Hi Folks;
Just bought a 2003 Grand Marquis LS for the wife. It has 19K miles on it & she loves it! My question is the transmission 1st gear (auto, of course) whines from a normal standing start. Is this normal with these cars? Crown Vics etc? Other than this the car is really quiet. Thanks, Gerlad
gerlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2004, 03:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: Grand Marquis Noise

Is whining while in first gear normal? Unlikely, although your car is made by Ford so maybe it is normal (just kidding ). If it sounds out of the ordinary, it probably is. Although I have a '94 Thunderbird, we both have the same transmission, Ford's 4R70W (the Thunderbird/Cougar Club of America, www.tccoa.com, has a lot of information on this and other transmissions). I've personally never had a 'whining' in first gear, only torque converter shudder after 3rd gear which I fixed by flushing the transmission completely (with converter) and refilling with Mercon V. Then again, a car based on the 'Panther' platform (Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Marauder, Town Car) is likely to have calibration and/or other differences compared to my car, based on the 'MN-12' platform (Thunderbird, Cougar, Mark VIII), or other cars that use this tranny due to weight and/or engine differences. This is on top of the time span between my transmission and yours in which Ford may have made a change or two. If it were me, I would take the car to the dealer if it's still under warranty and have them look at it because it's probably something simple to fix. If it's not, it would be a free repair anyway. Better to work out as many things possible while your car's still under warranty so nothing comes back to bite you in the ass later.
MN12FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 13:34   #3 (permalink)

Re: Grand Marquis Noise

Thanks for the reply MN12FAN. Yeah I think the dealer is the answer. Now to get the car away from the wife.
gerlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline