Ford Forums banner

Great idea for changing transmission fluid?

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  XplodEd EA 
#1 ·
Okay so today I had to change the power steering fluid in the bro's car cos he was whinging for me to do it for him. So I had the genious brainwave of instead of taking off the power steering pump, or siphoning out, let the pump do the work for me!

So what I did was take foff the fluid return hose(some fluid drained out of the pump, but not all), then put the fluid return hose in a can to catch the fluid, ran the motor for all of 5 seconds while turning the steering wheel... and it was done, a good litre or so of old power steering fluid had be pumped out.

Well now I am thinking if idea this worked for the power steering, how would it go getting the Auto tranny hose that goes to the radiator, undoing it and running the motor while all the fluid pumps out. Would all the fluid that is in the torque convertor be pumped out? I'm guessing there would still be a little bit of oil left in the oil pan thats below the oil pick up, but if you keep pouring more fluid in that should solve that problem right?

Either way I'm going to give it a go, saves me having to get under the car! Will keep you posted on how it goes.

#3 ·
It will be very hard to pour as much fluid in as will be pumped out, Very similar idea to how its actualy done by pros, but they force fluid through the box iirc to push the old fluid out whilst its running.

#4 ·
fordfanatic said:
Well now I am thinking if idea this worked for the power steering, how would it go getting the Auto tranny hose that goes to the radiator, undoing it and running the motor while all the fluid pumps out. Would all the fluid that is in the torque convertor be pumped out? I'm guessing there would still be a little bit of oil left in the oil pan thats below the oil pick up, but if you keep pouring more fluid in that should solve that problem right?

Either way I'm going to give it a go, saves me having to get under the car! Will keep you posted on how it goes.
Pics? (for when it's done?) :boom:

-Dave-

#5 ·
Howabout the trans cooler lines? One pumping out the old fluid into your catch tray whilst the other line sucks in new fluid? Also be interested to know if you could drain the torque converter in this method?

#6 ·
well there isn't much point in changing oil and leaving the old cruddy filter there so you need to clumb under to remove the filter anyway

As Walkinshaw stated thats how they flush it properly but you need a pump to push the new oil thru, gravity feed or a syphon wouldnt match the flow then you'll have burnt friction bands in the box...

Your theory is half right but your application could be costly

#7 ·
I've heard of this being done before, but it was done by switching the engine on/off/on/off to allow the flow to catch up.

They basically did what was said above until the oil coming into the can looked like the stuff that was getting poured in :)

#8 ·
firstly, when you change your tranny oil you should change the pick-up screen aswell, otherwise how would you know if your tranny is making metal or if the screen was gunked up?

secondly, never run your engine when there is no oil in the tranny. even though the car is not moving there are still parts spinning in there.

#9 ·
I have seen the "filter" before and it's not really a filter, it's just a screen that stops any big bits going through it. But yes there is probably lots of filings and stuff in the oil pan, I guess thats a good reason for taking it off.

Oh yeah and I doubt it's gonna "blow up" either, I plan on just running it for about 30 seconds for all the oil to pump out, then let it cool down a bit, fill it with some new oil and run it for another 30 seconds to clean it all out. Then hook the cooler hose back to the radiator fill her up and it should be happy! Surely 30 seconds without oil isn't going to kill it.

#10 ·
He might be right..

Dont forget that once it runs dry, the torque converter will lose drive from the engine (right?) cause it needs fluid to transfer power... maybe the torque converter will be damaged, but the tranny probably wont

#12 ·
We used to disconnect the return line from the cooler too flush auto's at work, we never had a problem tho cos we have a/t fluid thats pumped through the workshop in retractable hoses.

I am pretty sure even the pro's dont "force" the fluid through by pumping fluid in at a certain pressure. I know our flushing machine at work doesn't force fluid through at any great deal of pressure as the hose fittings have come apart while using the machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.