Hard to put in gear in after clutch is warmed up... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2002, 14:42   #1 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Hard to put in gear in after clutch is warmed up...

Hey all,

Does anyone else have this problem that when the clutch is warmed up a bit, its really really hard to put it gear - ie, the synchros (if thats how you spell it) dont really want to let you put in 1st say from a stop. Same deal in reverse.

You really have to force it in, and can feel the synchros grinding away......

I have adjust the cable about a million times (finally having so much tension in it, it broke the yoke thing at the entry point to the tranny - talk about annoying!). it goes into gear real easy when cold though....

any ideas?

Thanks

Brendan
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2002, 15:18   #2 (permalink)

How old is the clutch and what is it ? (heavey duty?) I have had a heap of trouble with my EA S Clutches.

The original died at 110,000km. The new one - a PBR kit fitted by a dealer, did exactly what you are saying. The dealer changed it after 2 days, with PBR footing the bill. The second one was fine.

At about 150,000km that clutch shat itself, thanks to the combination of 1100kg ski boat on a trailer, a steep driveway to reverse it up, and the tall 2.77 diff in EA S MPEFI's. Then I fitted a heavy duty PBR and started having the same problems all over again. I had to have it adjusted so that the clutch sat about 2 inches higher than the brake to get enough travel to disengage it. Then it cracked the firewall at the clutch cable mount, and spat the dummy all-together at 170,000km, again mostly due to the boat towing.

At this point I decided to get an original clutch from Ford. It cost a little more, and still seemed to be made by PBR, but so far this one is still going fine at 215,000km.

Now as to why yours won't disengage ? Can you give a bit more info ? The cold versus hot will either be due to expansion of the friction linings when they warm up and / or the heat in the transmission fluid changing it's viscosity. Considering that T5's run Dexron II ATF the fluid is fairly thin to start with so that shouldn't make much difference.

Cheers - Pat.
psproule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 15:56   #3 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

hey pat,

the car has done 128000kms, but i wouldn't think the clutch is original - reason being, its got a xr6 box in it so i would assume the guy before me did the clutch the same time he did the box (its only logical IMO) - btw its only an s - pac At this stage their is no sign of slippage. My clutch pedal also sits much higher than the brake pedal (about an inch) too.

Mine has cracked the firewall once before, and was welded up with a thick plate on the engine side of it - looks like its doin it again - its really shits me!

the only time i really notice its damn hard - (like you have to force it to the extent you think you'll break it) is when either i've dropped her (which i dont make a habit of doing), or have been drivin for a bit in city traffifc - so i'm thinkin it has to be the heat thing....

Any other ideas ppl ?

Thanks,
Brendan
Old 05-16-2002, 16:32   #4 (permalink)

I had exactly these problems with my XF. It was always hard to get into gear, and if you adjusted the cable to fix this, the clutch pedal ended up almost horizontal. Then the cheap peice of crap hook used to attach the cable to the clutch fork snapped off.

What a total piece of junk - the thing is, my 25 year old XC has an excellent hydraulic clutch system that has great positive feel, is 100% reliable, requires no adjustment, and works all the time.

Shame on Ford for going backwards by getting rid of the quality hydraulic clutch systems, and fitting cheap crappy cable junk instead.
XCGS351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 16:36   #5 (permalink)

PS: do later model falcons (EL,AU etc) still use the shameful cable clutch system? even on V8s?
XCGS351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 16:45   #6 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

hey xcgs351,

Pritty sure they still have cable in el, not sure about au though...

The i6 clutch, is apprantly meant to be heavy than v8's which, i find it pritty whacked !!!!
Old 05-16-2002, 17:31   #7 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

I had this prob wayyyyyy back... I used dextron II & still didnt solve the prob..
I later contacted Ford & one of the "Technicians" told me that all T5's are supposed to have this additive in it called "Mercon".
The brand Im currently using is Pennzoil Auto tranny fluid.. which contains Mercon within itself & havent had a problem in about 4yrs..... Hot or Cold... Give it a whirl!!
Cheers

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 19:42   #8 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Yeah the AU's run cable clutch's...even the v8s

I think it wouldve beena much smarter move to use hydro.

lol...My brothers Patrol has vacuum assisted hydro clutch...I almost put my foot through the floor first time i used it.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 21:52   #9 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

i'm gonna change the oil and see what happens...will let you all know
Old 05-16-2002, 23:19   #10 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

i reckon you clutch is stuffed. Sounds like what mine was doing before it got changed.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline