Help! 97 ranger gears gringing in reverse, trouble shifting into first... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2004, 18:09   #1 (permalink)

Help! 97 ranger gears gringing in reverse, trouble shifting into first...

I bought my ford ranger from a friend of a friend nine days ago. It is a manual 5 speed 4 x 4 that had 82,000 miles. He sold it to me for 6,200 and the truck was sweet...for the first five days... then i had trouble getting it into reverse, it was grinding a bit. This is my first standard, but I knew enough to be worried. I asked one of my co-workers to have a look and he thought the clutch felt ok, so I drove it home and the next morning I had trouble again with reverse. I asked a different guy to try it and he said right off the bat, you need a new clutch. My clutch is hydraullic so he said maybe it is just a slave cyllinder... the fluid was a little low and we topped it off and drove it to the mechanic. On the way there I noticed I was having trouble getting it into first gear. I left it at the mechanic friday and when I called him he said the truck seemed 'bound up" and he mentioned an adjustment or a problem with my transmission. He said he'd let me know Monday, so... I'm worried. Do any of you have any ideas on this? I've only had this truck a week, but I hadn't driven much standard before it. Could I have majorly messed up my new baby? Help!
TheLWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2004, 06:58   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Re: Help! 97 ranger gears gringing in reverse, trouble shifting into first...

Use a fine or quality thinner gear box oil..Has the same troubles with T5's.Most modern box's require light gear oil.. NOT transmission/ diff oil it's way tooo thick and prevents syncro cones working properly...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline