HELP- clutch woes!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 03:22   #1 (permalink)

HELP- clutch woes!!!

Gday all,
Just got my licence and starting to drive the family (now my) ute. Its a ford xg ute. Friday night it starts playing up, waiting at the lights and outa the blue it wont go into gear. No matter what i do it wont go in. Turn the engine off and push the clutch in, goes in to with some assistence. Car starts and can be driven in that gear. Pull it out of gear when the engine is running and you cant put it back. I limped it home in 2nd.
I have a feeling that it may be some slack in the cluch cable despite no real difference when depressing the clutch pedal. the car has only done 94,000km. Anyone got ideas on what i can look for or ajust. Furthermore can anyone recomend a shop that they have had good expirences with in Melbourne. Just want to get it back on the road and preying its not gonna cost me an arm and a leg.
xgute'95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 05:32   #2 (permalink)
Who wants more than 80kw?

Re: HELP- clutch woes!!!

oh no....

You can try to adjust the clutch cable but I dont think you'll have any luck.

My mate has a 93 camry, same thing happened. Split clutch fork.

I think the same thing may have happened to you. The clutch fork has split, and instead of pushing the clutch plates apart when the clutch is depressed, it is just bending around.

Have to remove gearbox from engine, remove clutch, install new or second hand fork, Replace thrust bearing (for good measure) and all should be ok.

Removing the gearbox and examining the clutch will tell all anyway.

Good luck
Old 02-14-2005, 10:43   #3 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Yeah, either that, or a broken pedal box or firewall can also cause that problem.
Old 02-14-2005, 13:49   #4 (permalink)

Symptoms are definitely indicative of the clutch not releasing. Check over the adjustment and if this doesn't help replace it. Clutches are fairly easy to do in rear wheel drive cars as you just have to drop the gearbox then bellhousing to get access.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 23:33   #5 (permalink)

hey all,
I personaly dont feel capable of dropin the gearbox in the ute. I played around with the clutch ajustment and had some good results, i was able to move freely bertween gears whilst the car was off. I turned the nut more towards the firwall and found it was had to get 1st 5th and reverse, then i turned the car on and was able to get 4th and 3th just, mid you there isnt a crunch that you would expect if the clutch wasnt disingaging.
I think that maby its the clutch cable? Im thinking i might replace it. Is it very strait forward no springd that will pop out in my clutch when i take all the slack off the cable?
cheers for all your help
james
Old 02-15-2005, 03:03   #6 (permalink)

The clutch cable will need some play to ensure the bearing doesn't ride on the diagphram fingers. Also if the clutch is not releasing properly then the gearbox syncro rings will wear out very quickly. ie adjustment is very important.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 19:13   #7 (permalink)

What i realy need to know if it is worth trying to replace the clutch cable, and the likelyness of this being the problem?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:47   #8 (permalink)

Do the cable! I had a VERY similar problem with my car. I replaced the clutch and pedal box and still had the problem. It ended up being a faulty cable!

I suggest replacing the cable FIRST -- it only cost about $80. I had to pay $1500 before it was fixed !!

Good luck.........
sunni_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline