Ford Forums banner

help find me an 3.45 diff

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  BLO GMH 
#1 ·
I would like to 'upgrade' my diff to 3.45, I thinbk it would be cheapest if I found one from a Xr6 HP, can someone recommend me a place in melbourne that might have one of these....

#3 ·
what sort of take off difference would this 3.45 make, compared to standard?? i would have thought a better option (maybe more expensive too) would be to go higher, to get a more noticable take off... although Im asking, because im not really sure

#4 ·
the xr diffs are a better ratio in respect of punch out of the hole, but spin faster at speed. the 3.45 ratio has much better take off than the 3.08 ratio found in those vehicles other than the xr series..

#6 ·
I totally recomend gettin this done in an AU. I had a 3.23 non-lsd (standard base falcon) and I got a 3.45 LSD from an xr6 HP. It really improved take off and power through corners as well. I paid heaps for it as the entire rear axel and diff setup had to be repaired due to an accident. Dont ask me where to get one though. It was just luck that I found someone who had one in stock.

#8 ·
It funny you guy say its hard. The diff in a Ford is a BTR/BW, these diffs have basically been runnig since the 70's. I got a 2nd hand 3.45 R&P including supply put in my charger for $250 dollars total! Every diff shop I have been too has 2nd Hand 3.23, 3.45, and 3.55 R&P's in stock. Also you can get a reco LSD fitted for $450 (new was $650). Why bother searching the scrap yards when they want $500+ for a questionable diff.

#9 ·
#10 ·
not ford said:
It funny you guy say its hard. The diff in a Ford is a BTR/BW, these diffs have basically been runnig since the 70's. I got a 2nd hand 3.45 R&P including supply put in my charger for $250 dollars total! Every diff shop I have been too has 2nd Hand 3.23, 3.45, and 3.55 R&P's in stock. Also you can get a reco LSD fitted for $450 (new was $650). Why bother searching the scrap yards when they want $500+ for a questionable diff.
Dont forget to add bearings to that $350

LSD new $650
Bearings $350
and new gears depending what ratio is about $300-$650.
In my case total was $1525 +GST

So $500 for a questionable diff dose'nt sound to bad it just depends what your application is my car is about to get a blower so second hand parts dident seem like a good idea. Are you sure that all the diff centres are the same/interchangable i thought that there was different series even though they are the same basic design.

#11 ·
not ford said:
They are not all exactly the same unfortunatly. Housing and design changes have ment some combinations will not work. Have a look through sone of the older posts, this topic has come up heaps of times before now.

Biggest problem is most of the 3.45 or shorter gears walk out the door before hitting the shelf so there is a huge demand and not many cars being wrecked.

#12 ·
WINGED said:
Dont forget to add bearings to that $350

LSD new $650
Bearings $350
and new gears depending what ratio is about $300-$650.
In my case total was $1525 +GST

So $500 for a questionable diff dose'nt sound to bad it just depends what your application is my car is about to get a blower so second hand parts dident seem like a good idea. Are you sure that all the diff centres are the same/interchangable i thought that there was different series even though they are the same basic design.
That was $450 fitted!! The bearings in the carrier were NEW. If you need to replace the axle bearing it should only be an extra $100 while they're at it. Also I have only seen ONE car ever that destroyed a R&P, that was my car. It happened be cause the car had over 300 1/4 mile passes which will eventually destroy the R&P with sticky rubber. Also with BW if the 3.45 isn't available there is 3.55. The bigest problem with interchangability is 25 spline to 28 spline. There are different designs but I'm pretty sure most of them interchange.

#14 ·
i picked up an EL XR8 complete rear axle (including calipers and rotors) off ebay for $250 a couple of weeks ago with less than 80,000 on it...came from a written off car with front damage.

cheers!

#17 · (Edited)
Some time ago, my son purchased a diff out of an EA. We got it home with rotors, calipers etc. The rotors were solid ones and we fitted the whole thing straight under an XF S Pack. Everything fitted perfectly. It was a LSD and as both cars, the EA and XF were coil spring cars, no probs. The only thing that gave us a headache was the handbrake cable due to us wanting to use the newly aquired calipers, which were different to the old ones. Had we used the old calipers we would not have had that problem. The old XF diff was a open 2.77 and the new one a 2.92 LSD. Small but noticable difference. All we need now is something along the lines of a 4.11. Then it will really bog itself in the bitumen, hehehe.

Jon

#18 ·
yea an E-Series diff will fit under an XF MADXF, i just bought one as i said and apparently the only difference (apart from brakes) are the trailing arms (set up differently, they have three possible mounting holes on the lower arm) but it still all fits and works

cheers!

#20 ·
the three holes are all at different heights, i am using the lowest one as it looks like that is the one the EL used judging by the marks in the dust around it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.