Help! Ford ED stn wgn is STUCK in REVERSE - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 16:19   #1 (permalink)

confused Help! Ford ED stn wgn is STUCK in REVERSE

Hello
Can anybody out there give me some idea of whats going on here? The first mechanic I went to said I'm going to need to spend $1500 on a recond or rebuilt gearbox plus labour.

I'm a woman and a blonde - they see me coming and I don't want to get conned into something I don't need here. Can somebody give me some genuine advice?

Its a 1994 Falcon ED automatic station wagon (4 speed?) and as of last night its STUCK in REVERSE! The gear shifter runs through all gears (way to freely - no normal clunking into gear noises) and it remains permanently in reverse no matter what.

When I start the car its in reverse! (So have to have foot on brake when start).
When engine is off, the car just rolls (So have to make sure handbrake is on hard).
It drives perfectly well in reverse, BUT that's the only gear it allows (I could have said "BUT I'm getting a real sore neck driving around in reverse" but that would be too blonde even for me!)

The auto transmission has been a bit funny for a few months. I'd put it in park and turn off the engine, then when I went to restart it, it wouldn't start - because it wasn't properly in park. I found if I pulled back slightly on the shifter or ran through the gears, that it would move properly into park and the electrics would start up (radio etc) and then allow me to start the car. That was then. Now I have a real big problem.

I keep thinking some attachment must have fallen off - like a linkage or something - because it moves through all gears way too freely - like nothing is engaging. Could it be something simple?

If not, and I'm up for a new gearbox, could it be worthwhile to look around for a half decent secondhand gearbox from a wrecker and have that fitted? Cheaper option maybe? Or waste of time?

Any genuine knowledgeable advice would be VERY WELCOME.

Regards
Julie
julrad07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 18:02   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Help! Ford ED stn wgn is STUCK in REVERSE

It's obviously hard to tell much over the internet, but yes it could be something as simple as disconnected linkage. Is the shifter on the column or the floor?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:27   #3 (permalink)

IF the linkage was disconnected, it would not start, as the neutral start switch would not permit it.

See my reply to you other post on this topic.

JAs
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 14:20   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys

Its an automatic floor shift.

Have followed up Jas' reply at my other post on this subject. Sorry for confusion. I somehow managed to do the same post twice thinking the first didn't work.

Regards
Julie
julrad07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:17   #5 (permalink)

hi Julie
Just how lucky of me as tonight after look at your stuck in reverse as l had same problem as you had and after look other ideas from suddeny l relaise that l have very deep hill road so l decide to take my belove ford eb wagon up the hill and stop and turn the car around and drive down the hill and stop the car again on the hill and start the car while rolling down the hill slowly approx 15kpm and start the engine in neutral and put in reverse suddenly everything came back to normal as just remmber l did rebuilt this auto box my self fews months ago
goofyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline