Help with Transmission... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 21:36   #1 (permalink)

Help with Transmission...

Hey guys,

My 3speed isn't changing gears properly when in Drive. It doesn't change until I get to around 3000rpm. By this I mean, that If I cruise at low speeds say around 40kph, it'll stay in first unless I punch it so it goes over 3000rpm. It seems reluctant to change gears at all!?

The funny thing is that it changes fine if I shift manually (ie. 1, 2, D on T-BAR).

The only problem is that it's changing from 3000rpm in first down to 1300rpm in second because I'm not flooring it, and it can be clunky because of these rapid decrease in revs...

My fluids are fine, and I topped them up to see if that was the problem but it wasn't. The tranny seems to shift better as it warms up, but it still feels wrong.

I can drive around manually shifting it up and down but it's giving me the shits because it's just not working properly. I don't have any money because of Christmas and because I'm going away on a holiday with friends (which I've already payed for but need spending money!)

What do you people think is wrong, and has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2002, 21:48   #2 (permalink)
Formerly EAII_Fairmont

Bands? Maybe a jammed kickdown cable or something.

121kW 2.5L DOHC V6 in a car that weighs 1100kg's and looks like a 4 banger from the outside......SLEEPER!

1988 EA S Pak 3spd CFI.....Soon to be a 250rwkw HSV eating machine.
Latest update......MPFI!!
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 21:58   #3 (permalink)

I'm going to take it into a tranny shop and get it looked at, but won't be able to do it until around 5th of Jan, after I'm back from my holiday.

Problem is, my car is one of the cars that we'll be using to get down to phillip island. So hopefully the 3speed holds out until then, or i'm f*$@ed... :(

Any more replies would be great!

Dave
Old 12-13-2002, 13:14   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

sounds like your kickdown cable.....check and make sure its still completely attached to the throttle body..they have a very weak clip holding them on...may be jamming/broken/loose etc...may be in need of a major service...

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 20:11   #5 (permalink)

Hey guys, had a look in gregory's and it says to adjust the kickdown cable you have to measure the distance between the plastic ferrule and the end of the thread of the outer cable..

Now, one small problem.. I don't have a plastic ferrule. My kickdown cable is bare, and it doesn't have anything covering it (i'm guessing this is what a ferrule is, a piece of plastic that goes around the outside of the cable..)

Now how the hell am I supposed to adjust the cable without the ferrule? Maybe someone can meausure their ferrule and then get back to me, so then I can pretend there is a ferrule there and add that into my calculations.. (this is of course counting on the ferrule's top is right against the clip next to the throttle body)

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline