Ford Forums banner

High torque on drivetrain makes a machinegun sound?

4K views 24 replies 3 participants last post by  WTFDavid 
#1 ·

Go to Youtube and set it to max resolution on fullscreen.

2007 Freestar SEL, 4.2 engine, 4F50N transmission.

You can see the tire shake the first time, my foot is pushing the throttle pretty far open for only about a second, I did it 4 times in the video.

Anyone dealt with this same problem before? I'm about to do a fluid and filter change on trans, and need to see if there is any large metal bits.

#2 ·
I just tested it, it does it in all 4 gears. It didn't do it at full throttle from a dead stop, but I only did it once and am scared to do it again and shred something, I need this vehicle to move, not break down, I have no place to store it right now and no towing coverage.

#3 ·
It sure sounds like a bad CV joint to me. I know a clicking sound when turning left or right is the most common sound but I have seen them like this as well.

Have you looked underneath at the CV joint boots for any signs of tears or grease? Try wiggling and twisting the joint while your under there and see if there is any excessive play. There should be very little if any.

#4 ·
The left outer boot is torn, grease coming out.

I would just go ahead and replace it. But it would be nice to know exactly is doing this, cause if it is not the joint, then all I really needed was a new boot, and I have to take the left suspension apart a 2nd time to pull the transmission.

#11 ·
New axle, new tie rod end, tranny fluid and filter, engine oil and filter.

Still doing it .... :(

Alot of fine metal on magnet in tranny pan, no big chunks. I just got this vehicle so idk how long previous owner went without tranny fluid and filter change.

I'll put the GoPro and my bicycle clamp on flashlight in the engine compartment and go for a drive, I can see the video on the phone over bluetooth and can start and stop the video recording. I'll start with the intake manifold runner control, it looks fine, but we will see when driving.

#12 ·
Looking at video it would appear that the bushes on lower suspension arm are badly worn and causing " kicking " and excessive movement on arm .May or not be related to your noise .Long shot but could also check inside of wheel to see if any signs of anything hitting , i.e possibly from loose calliper .Take it you have checked driveshaft c/v joint with bust gaiter as previously suggested for wear and repaired ?

#13 ·
The bushing is a little worn, but when it moves alot in the video the engine is almost wide open throttle, so the arm is not flopping back and forth much when just driving easy. The way the whole powertrain feels when the machinegun sound happens seems more like mechanical teeth slipping, like the chain in the tranny is slipping.

#23 ·
I'm sure you've already done this but I Googled the 4F50N transmission and the 2007 Ford Freestar and found numerous transmission complaints.

Recently, NHTSA launched an investigation into the Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey due to numerous complaints with regard to the equipped 4F50N transmission.[1] Although the investigation is centered on the Torque Converter, these failures often require that the entire transaxle be rebuilt or replaced.

#24 ·
Yea I'm sure every transmission model has a page like that.

I'm going to keep moving the GoPro to new perspectives. I just opened hood, pulled the ebrake, started engine, jammed a stick between seat and brake pedal, put it in drive, went and stood next to the fender and throttled engine by hand and looked in there, it made the noise, whole engine shook. Must be inside trans or could maybe be an engine mount.

Ima mount GoPro by the powertrain mounts next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.