How do you do burnouts in an XR with an auto transmission? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2002, 13:12   #1 (permalink)
XR8 Mad

How do you do burnouts in an XR with an auto transmission?

Just a query really.....

How do you do burnouts in an 200kw XR8 (plus x% with full bore muffler) with an auto tranny?

I mean, its easy in a manual tranny XR but what's the safest and least stressful technique for auto tranny XRs?

As you can understand, I would love to be able to do one but I don't want to blow the gearbox or anything like that.

thanks
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2002, 14:48   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

foor on brake....slowly push your foot down on the accelerator till something happens.. but it WILL put strain on tha auto and brakes..
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 15:33   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

XA Coupe is right, though i would reccomend doing too often as i think the auto will screw up. Brakes isn't a real hassle as after all there just pads that will wearout but a stuffed band or torque convertor can be a pain.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 15:39   #4 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

Easiest way is what XA said, except put some brake clamps on the rear and use some cheap woolworths oil. hehe

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 15:50   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Is doing a burnout REALLY that important?
Old 06-06-2002, 15:54   #6 (permalink)

no burnouts in a XR8?

Howdy

It does not matter what car you have anything can do burnouts, from your humble bicycle to a lowly EA Falcon GL can do burnouts, if you cannot do burnouts in your XR8, their must be something wrong with you, or your car is horsying around j/k mate
Simple way to do burnouts, go on a hard turn, right or left even on 1/2 throtlle while correcting on the turn will easily light the tyres up on the bend for a few metres or so till you get off the gas. Though when the car is on a big angle in RWD while the donut looks excellent being a RWD car and all it can be a handful especially on a torquey Windsor V8.

Though on some modern cars if you put the power too quick on the ground you can blow the diff, ie my hyundai lantra (stock)when i took the corner hit the gas, revs went nuts did a monster burnout and the diff blew out smoke when she began to accellerate as the d/t put too much oomph to the diff, lots of black smoke and a expensive new diff :(

As for doing burnouts in your XR8 if you follow my above tips it should be no worries but remember once you take the corner you'd be better be prepared for a RWD 200kw XR8 donk to bite back, hey I warned you. I did a 100m or so burnout in my GL to the city riceboys attention but it was like wrestling a broncho all the way on 3/4 throttle, a handful! So if the car bites back you should know how to countereact as well otherwise if suggest you don't do this.

Most Diffs these days are made to reduce burnouts so to speak like the old cars but it seems strange that your car do much if anything at all in some diffs. Anyway the less burnouts you do the faster you accellerate. You can play with the diff ratio's (ring Ford MS or email me) play with the tranny and easily you can turn your car into a smokemaster apart from possibly sacrificed fuel economy due to tranny mods. If you want further details how to do this (if you have the tools and experience) contact me I'll be glad to help.

Grandpa Henry
Grandpa Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 15:58   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by eb_5litre
Easiest way is what XA said, except put some brake clamps on the rear and use some cheap woolworths oil. hehe
Oil on tyres thats cheatin mate, thats the trick for 202 powered commo's trying to light em up. Actually my mate did that trick in his dads 1996 TS Magna 2.6L.

BTW EB, like your avatar.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 16:15   #8 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Foot on brake.

Foot flat on Loud Pedal

Foot off brake.

Disapear in a cloud of smoke.

If you are still having troubles, and you really want to do a burnout, we can swap cars.

My XF Falcon GL can do them easy!
Old 06-06-2002, 21:50   #9 (permalink)
XR8 Mad

Thanks for your comments guys and gals. Most interesting.

For those interested, I can do them in the wet easier no trouble at all, using the 'turning the corner' approach. But in the dry I was wondering from a curiousity point of view how its done. I am not really going to do it on any regular basis, especially in the dry...it can be expensive tyre-wise and when something decides to 'suck the kumara'.

Cheers
Old 06-06-2002, 22:04   #10 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Does your wife know about this? :s6:
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline