How do you fool an auto ecu? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2004, 22:57   #1 (permalink)
5.0 ED Wagon

How do you fool an auto ecu?

The BTR is no longer and now the T5 is near. Just need to know how to trick the 5.0L ecu to think that the car is in drive. I cant find a 5.0L manual ecu so the auto ecu is staying. I've done a search and i came across a post somewhere that you actually connect "the violet/white with the violet wire with a 4 Ohm resistor". The problem here is that I dont have any purple coloured wires near the TCM or the old gearbox loom. My car is a 1994 ED Fairmont 5.0L wagon. I suspect that the post was written for an EA or a EB.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: How do you fool an auto ecu?

did a conversion on an ED Fairmont this week. Didnt have to put any resistors in any of the loom.

Had to modify the wiring loom that comes up from the gear box as it was from an EA. car wouldnt start until we did.
mistress007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:16   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Talk to NZ, he's done it. You will need to fool the ECU with the V8 as they have some sort of torque limiting mode to protect reverse. When the ECU doesn't know what gear it's in, it assumes it's in reverse. As a result first gear and a bit of second are gutless. Half way through 2nd the ECU figures out it's going too fast to be in reverse and removes the limiter, but 1st is still a piss poor effort apparently.

I believe even if you found a 5 speed ECU, the extra Fairmont goodies don't like it.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:14   #4 (permalink)

I was under the impression that you didnt have to do anything with the ed v8's because they ran a seperate auto-trans computer. Other models (like min - ef-6) had it integrated with the ecu so they needed to be tricked. Dont know where I got that impression from though so it is probably bs.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:40   #5 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
I was under the impression that you didnt have to do anything with the ed v8's because they ran a seperate auto-trans computer. Other models (like min - ef-6) had it integrated with the ecu so they needed to be tricked. Dont know where I got that impression from though so it is probably bs.
Yes, you do have to do the mods that psycho chicken wrote about because although the V8s run a seperate trans computer the ECU and TCM talk to each other, so you have to fool the ECU into thinking the trans is in drive to avoid the torque limiting and various other nasties.

barnacus, there have been many threads on this, have you tried a search?
Old 12-21-2004, 14:57   #6 (permalink)
5.0 ED Wagon

Thanks for the replies guys. I've gathered the information(thanks EF Futura for finding me that NZ post!!) and it only cost me $1.10. When you just change boxes without doing this modification, you'll realise that instead of having 165kW you will have something like 120kW instead. The torque limiter thing that the ECU does is severe. Once I soldered up everything, the car absolutely guns. Certainly would leave the auto for dead.

I removed the TCM and did a bit of soldering here and there with the loom. Takes about 30 mins to do and short of replacing the ECU for a manual one, well worth the $1.10 premium. PM for details.

Yes and a huge thanks to NZ.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:16   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I didnt even know about this thread lol.

Grin factor definitly increses once you get it going properly. It amazes people when i pull the fuse for the auto computer and force it to run like crap
Old 01-21-2005, 19:22   #8 (permalink)

ok. so how do you fool the auto ecu?
currently doing the same t5 conversion to an eb1 5.0L gl and i dont want the ecu to go into torque limiting mode. where is that NZ post?
p.s. barnacus, i took you up on the pm for details offer
sam12h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 19:57   #9 (permalink)

found it! twas in the windsor tech, not trans/driveline where i was looking

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread...039#post675039
sam12h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline

Related Reading: How do you fool an auto ecu?