Ford Forums banner

How to Fit a Trans Cooler?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ebv888 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has fitted a trans cooler to their EF themselves? I will be getting my trans serviced soon as the fluid has gone quite dark, indicating that the trans is getting hot. I dont thrash the trans by any means, but im sure the extra cooling would be good. My questions are:
How much is a trans cooler?
How hard is it to fit?

Thanks
Lee

#2 ·
Bought new and not from a wrecker they are about $130 i think, and fitting instructions are pretty easy to follow, I have mine installed with no radiator involvement just straight through the trans cooler, there are mixed opinions on this, both for and against, but I am happy.

#4 ·
If you look at your system as it is, you will see the trans cooler lines loop through the driver side of the radiator, what most people do is redirect the top line through the trans cooler then back through the radiator and to the trans, I have just gone straight in and out of the trans cooler.

#6 ·
Thats true Garth, but ive heard of ppl using the radiator to take the edge off the tranny heat then using the trans cooler to further drop the temp/

My trans is acticting BADLY (the same fassion as chris' was before it became a powerglyde) so im looking at installing a BIG trans cooler as well.

#7 ·
Well if you find a bigger one that the ones currently out there, please let me know!

Im in all sorts of bother deciding whether to go manual or not....if i keep the auto, I'll be investing some money into a bit of a rebuild, bigger transcooler (i have the tow pack on my car) AU S5 solenoid, little thermofan for the cooler (from a moto or something) and I'll also plumb in a temp guage

Just to see what temps the box runs at normally, what it runs at under a good flogging....just to get a bit more of an idea as to whats going on in there.

#10 ·
If you want a HUGE cooler and have money to burn, try get a trans cooler for a MY05 Subaru Liberty/Outback. The things are freaking huge! At least 2 feet long. I think they are about $300 though.

#11 ·
i recently replaced my trans cooler with the large btr drivetech fin and plate style cooler(eb5L) and i bypassed the rad tank.this works best for highway driving but trans can get a little warm in stop start driving-no air flowing over cooler.to counter this i have put a gsxr600 thermo fan on my trans cooler and it appears to work well-total cost $260-the cooler cost $190 the fan cost $35 from a bike wrecker and $35 for some new atf and a filter kit.had to pull front bar off and remove grille to do it.whole job took about three hours.i made up some brackets from some 6061 t3 .080thou and polished them up and the whole thing looks sweet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.