how much will a clutch for XD cost me? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2002, 05:47   #1 (permalink)
XD's rule

how much will a clutch for XD cost me?

starting to slip pretty bad now, it slips whenever you floor it in 1st or 2nd and when taking off :(

its a XD with the std manual 4spd in it, '79 model

im not sure If I need just a plate, or a pressure plate as well?!

how much do they go for?
thanks
xced is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2002, 08:09   #2 (permalink)

You should be able to get an exchange clutch kit for about $160 to $180. Get yourself a new throwout bearing and have your flywheel machined and balance the flywheel ,pressure plate and clutch as an assembly.Dont believe anyone who says its not required , its a must for smoothness. Assemble the pressure plate in the same position as it was balanced and enjoy.
It should set you back no more than about $375 max. Good luck.

PS If your already familiar with the above I'll shut up:beerchuge

AU Forte, EL GT Intake Snorkel and EF Airbox with more mods to come
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 13:30   #3 (permalink)

Wot Great White said, unless yours is a V8 with a twin plate. Then the cost is gonna scare you.

Don't stuff around - replace the pressure and clutch plates, have it all machined and balanced properly. Check the rear main oil seal and the rear welsch plug (I think there is one on an XD 6 cyl) while the flywheel is off. While the 4 speed is out check the linkages - especially the small nylon bush that slips into the fork of the shifter and the nylon lock down nut. These are cheap and will turn an old sloppy shifting single rail into a "new box". The aim here is to do it once and do it properly. No-one likes pulling transmissions out to re-do things.

Oh - and if you do it yourself factor in about 3 skinned knuckles.

Pat.
psproule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
XD's rule

thanks for the advice pplz :) looks like im up for a bit of cash :( ahh well... I better do it properly, its a I6 is i'll be up for 300 somthing!!

I'll definetly do the rear welsch (however its spelt!!) plug, the side ones were almost rusted thru and I've been praying the back one holds on

off topic, the 'box sometimes crunchs a bit on a quick 1st -> 2nd shift, could this be a warning of worn syncros or is it just how these old box's shift? also hard to get into 1st when moving unless I double clutch
Old 06-07-2002, 05:03   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Try a thinner oil does the gears crunch mainly when cold ? [Not h.p 90]Possibly wear?? A quality thinner oil will help the synchro's but then "may" make more noise.. Try changing oil any way it's cheap..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 06:05   #6 (permalink)
XD's rule

its got new oil in it, and a tube of $30 stuff made by nulon that claims to give "quicker crunch free shifts and less friction" I dunno if it helped since I never drove the car much before I put it in !! :(

anyway... if it gets any worse I'll try some thinner oil and see if it helps... might just be wear, although its only ~210'000 kms old, its done a fair bit of towing in its time
http://nforsa.8m.com/car/index.htm is the car im talking about btw :)

how much does a rebuild kit for the single rail go for? would it be a lot of work to replace it with a XF 5spd ? thanks :)
Old 06-07-2002, 13:24   #7 (permalink)

You have a worn second gear syncro. This is fairly common an single rails. The last time I bought a rebuild kit for one it was nearly 700. This included all bearings, seals and gaskets but not fresh syncros. These were cheap though. I did most of the work myself but not having the right tools for part of it, I took the cluster to a transmission shop and asked them to put it together with fresh syncros for me. That cost bugger all and they were very helpfull.

I learnt a lot by doing it myself but it is a bit of a daunting task. My rebuild was at 200,000 due to a stuffed input shaft bearing. If everything else in yours is ok you might get away with just replacing the syncros.

You could go the 5 speed route but it would probably be a bit more expensive. A second hand 4 speed might be cheaper and easier then a rebuild.

Regards - Pat.
psproule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 19:35   #8 (permalink)
XD's rule

$700 ouch :(
ok looks like a 2nd hand box... a m8 has a 5spd on a 3.3L xflow I can have cheap, but i heard that the 5spds on the 3.3's are no where near as strong? this true or not?

also... as they wear out more (the syncros) will it just get harder to change (and i'll have to double clutch etc) or will the box just die? i might have to live with it awhile ! :(
Old 06-08-2002, 05:52   #9 (permalink)
ESP Man

I remember the 5 spds were only available with the 3.3 because they weren't considered strong enough for the 4.1's.
The 3.3's were possibly running lower diff ratio and needed the 5 sp for reasonable economy
Single rails are cheap so just try and find one with low k's that hasn't been flogged.
You will probably find that your clutch plate is OK and more than likely the pressure plate has collapsed on one side and is causing the clutch to slip. But replace everything while you have it apart and make sure you leave some free play at the slave cylinder where it pushes the arm that goes into the bell housing
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline