Ford Forums banner

Hurst Indy Shifter onto Toploader

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  xbgs351 
#1 ·
Hi there guys, i have just bought a Hurst Indy shifter for my toploader gearbox in my XB 4 door, was going to put it in yesterday to realise that it comes with a fairly fat mounting bracket, about 1.5 inch spacers which space the bracket off the gearbox and when i got under there to have a look the shifter will be offset a fair way and will almost be touching the passenger's seat which i find stupid espcially for a shortish person like myself, just wondering if anyone has installed 1 in this type of situation and if so, maybe leave the spacers/ bracket out........what do you's reckon, just thought i would get some opinions /reasearch before i go cutting holes out. Thanks guys - Mark

#2 ·
Leave the spacers off, but you will also have to mod the gear lever.

Dellows used to make a lever, but i have heard that they have stopped making them. I did it a different way and made a billet aluminum spacer to center the lever.

#4 ·
blueraven said:
Okay... I hate to ask this but it has been bugging me for a while. What is a Hursty indy shifter and what is so special about it?
When you want second, you get second. When you want second you don't get reverse.

The shifter topic has been discussed recently. Please use the search function.

The shifter problems relate to the shifter being designed for the gearbox and the US. The shifter was never designed for a particular car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.