I blew either my diff or my tranny - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2003, 20:00   #1 (permalink)

confused I blew either my diff or my tranny

Ok my guess is my gearbox seeing as it grinds when its in park aswell.

Another ontop of that point the way it happend is.....
I put it in drive (maybe i didnt click it in fully) and put my fott on the accelorator and the revs just went all the way up and nothing in the tranny engaged then out of nowhere it decided to click in and BANG there goes something. Managed to get it home....... Just But yeah its rooted

My cars an EA CFI with a 3 speed auto a stock diff. I dont exactly know whats broken but i could use some serious help seeing as i need the car for work (whenever there is some) and a million other little personal issues ie my ex gf (hopefully not for long) down in geelong.

Now if it is the gearbox does anyone know of someone who's got a 5 speed manual they wanna get rid of or even just a 3 speed auto i'll do with. ofcoarse ill pay for it but i'll warn you i have little to no money. The other thing is id need some help putting it in as i have none of the tools id need

If its the diff well i'll b lookin for someone who has a diff but i suppose the first thing to do will be to find out whats broken.

If anyone can help us by giving us a hand or even just telling me a good way to find out exactly what i did.

Since i bought this car at christmas time i've lost a fan belt and my trannys played up before. Cant remember exactly what its called but its when u cant turn the car on becuase the car thinks ur in drive when ur not, My ex snapped my accelerator cable and the air never worked at all.

Why is it i always get landed with the heaps?
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2003, 21:57   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Re: I blew either my diff or my tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by Greeny
Why is it i always get landed with the heaps?
Welcome to my world

Id say you have stuffed your tranny, what revs were you doing when it slammed into drive?

3 speed Autos go for around $120 s/h so id be doing that if I were you, Unless you have the $700 or so for a manual conversion

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 00:12   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

went it went bang did you launch forward? check your trans fluid level too. I don't know how serious it is or if a service might fix it? Anyway a Trans service costs about 120$ anyway..
<b><font color="#000080"><font face="Arial" size="2">1992 EB Falcon GL [ </font></font><font face="Arial" size="1" color="#0000FF">Series 1</font><font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="2"> ]</font></b><br><font face="Arial" size="1"><a href="http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37673">4 Speed Auto with Shift Mod</a><br>Interior Neons<br>MPFI Conversion [sn]</font>
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 01:03   #4 (permalink)
Wildlife Photographer

Yeah just check your transmission-dipstick, if it's lacking oil, just fill her up through the same pipe (tube) the dipstick sits in.
Or just drain the bastard and refill it with some fresh oil, it might be that the oil has been in there for ages and has gone all thin.

Good luck with it
Old 03-14-2003, 01:09   #5 (permalink)

so does the car move at all ? is that how you got it home.
i blew a diff once and the car wouldnt move at all of course. at first i thought it was the auto gearbox till i noticed under the car when pushing it that the tailshaft wasnt turning. so it was a blown diff.
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 03:04   #6 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

if you rev the car and the speedo goes up like the techo in gear then it's your diff.
From your explanation your trans is rooted.
If it's driveable you may have snapped one of the bands for first or if your lucky it's may just be little or no fluid but if that was the case reverse would have been slipping for ages. My guess is it's box time go to the wreakers.
Old 03-14-2003, 16:11   #7 (permalink)

Well i just had a real good look at it and theres this nice big crack in the diff houseing so id say its the diff.

It moves after it makes alot of clanking and it rattles like a mofo clinking and clanking the whole way engaging diengaging.

I priced up another diff its gonna cost $175 for a std axle to axle or should i pay $250 and get an lsd axle to axle?

Id say it was near the redline region when it clicked in.

The way i see it the diffs needs replacing from the size of the crack anyway and if it needs a new box too then ill have to replace that. Hmmmm wonder how much a new BA box would cost and if it would bolt on no hassles like most boxes do with other flacons?

Just did a few checks the drive shaft moved in gear so yeah its the diff. Im assuming the gringing in park came from the driveshaft still having momentum from when it was in gear cause it only grinds for a few seconds.

Oh well i'll get her fixed and then i'll b up 4 the next meet just not the one on the 16th cuz ill have no cash

Damn i want lsd :D
Old 03-14-2003, 17:40   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Get an LSD if you like to go sideways etc in the wet and things like that. Being a 3 speed with a CFI setup it wouldnt be too great at spinning the wheels much. I guess the only benifit with LSD in your situation would be hard u turns etc.

Still get the LSD over the open centre.
Old 03-14-2003, 18:23   #9 (permalink)

Tell me about it
It takes 3 ppl lifting it to get 1 wheel going
Im gonna do a multi conversion when i get some cash i priced it up and i can get everything i need from the wreckers for $100
But an lsd's gonna set me back $250 axle to axle
Old 03-14-2003, 18:23   #10 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

I think there is still something wrong with the trans that inturn blew your diff.
Check the fluid in the box.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline